• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to go about calculating California State Pension Benefit to Split?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palmtree

What is the name of your state? California

I work for the State of California and at the time of separation have 6 years 10 months of service. We're trying to do this divorce on our own, but I have no idea whose services I need to enlist to estimate the value of my pension should I choose to buy him out, or how, if I split it with him 50/50, how this will work?

Any suggestions on who, other than attorney, I can hire? An auditor maybe??? Totally lost on this one.

Thanks.

nextwife

How much of that time were you married to your spouse? What was the value going into the marriage vs. what the value is now?

palmtree

We were married 26 years, 10 months as of the date of separation. I believe the cash value will be approximately $22,000, but the state vesting is an issue. I heard I will have to give up 1/2 my service credits. I'm in a 2% at age 55 vesting schedule. I just don't know who to hire to figure out how to value it for future if he elects to keep the pension in place and draw off it when I retire.

Bali Hai

We were married 26 years, 10 months as of the date of separation. I believe the cash value will be approximately $22,000, but the state vesting is an issue. I heard I will have to give up 1/2 my service credits. I'm in a 2% at age 55 vesting schedule. I just don't know who to hire to figure out how to value it for future if he elects to keep the pension in place and draw off it when I retire.
Thats why we have judges!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">