• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to help her?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gammydh

Hello, this is my first post, and not to be rude or mean, but hopefully my last. My problem is actually my granddaughters. I want to help her. We all live in Oklahoma. She got married when she was 7 months pregnant. Come to find out, his dad told him that he had to and threatened him if he didn't. Nine days later, she gave birth, cause (what we recently found out) he pushed her down and it ruptured her membranes. My grand daughter worked for the last two months of pregnancy while her 'husband' refused to do anything to even find a job. His parents got a loan for a house for them to live in. My granddaughter got a job to support the child and help with the bills. Over the past few weeks, her husband has informed her that if all the money does not go into the bank account for bills, then he doesn't want her around. She has been staying with my husband and I with the baby. He has repeatedly told her that it was his house and for her to get her stuff and get out. They have always talked it out and gotten back. He came in last night and informed her that if she couldn't pay all the bills, then she wasn't allowed to come home. He also told her that since she was working, then she would be liable for half the house loan. She tried to get out of it and go to her dads in Texas, but he called the sherriffs office and was told that if she takes the baby across state lines then she would be arrested. She has been letting them take the baby over to their home for hours at a time everyday, only to be yelled at and harassed by her husband when he brings him home.

My questions are:
If they divorce, can he make her pay half a loan for a home that isn't in their name (nothing is in her name)?

Can she take the child and leave the state for a few days to even visit with her father?

Is it legal for him to belittle her after she has told him to leave? He uses the excuse that he's here to see her baby even though he has just brought the baby home.

Any help would be appreciated,
We are planning on getting a lawyer on the matter ASAP,
I just can't see my grand daughter going through this much pain,

Dahlila

D

dorenephilpot

If the home loan is not in her name and she is not continuing to live there, I cannot imagine any court ordering her to pay half under the circumstances you describe.

Furthermore, the bank would go after the people who are listed as debtors on the loan, not her.

If there is not a court order barring her from removing the child from the state, then she can take the child anywhere she wants. She is the child's mother. That is her right.

Now, if she takes the child across state lines in order to hide the child and keep the father from seeing the child, that won't set well with the court. But if it's for a brief visit with someone and she is not hiding the child, she is perfectly within her rights.

Yes, it's legal for him to belittle her. The solution is for her not to give him an opportunity to do this.

When he comes to drop off the baby, have her be in another room (or not even there).

You can always ask him to leave. If he doesn't leave your home when you request it, call the police to have him removed.

She has no obligation to see him. She has no obligation to listen to his browbeatings.

This guy sounds like a major control freak -- and his threats are idle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">