• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to let go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baker71179

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I've tried contacting an attorney but he will not advise without payment, I'm not sure if this is a common practice so I just thought I would post here and maybe find a starter. My husband and I are in total agreement to become legally separated, we have one child of 3 months of whom he will retain custody and he doesn't want alimony or child support due to the fact that I can't support the baby on my own as of yet and that's why he is going to have custody in the first place. This is very mutual and no angry feelings or animocity. What I want to know is what are the grounds for legal separation in Georgia and do I have to pay alimony and child support even though my husband and I have come to this agreement.

LdiJ

baker71179 said:

I've tried contacting an attorney but he will not advise without payment, I'm not sure if this is a common practice so I just thought I would post here and maybe find a starter. My husband and I are in total agreement to become legally separated, we have one child of 3 months of whom he will retain custody and he doesn't want alimony or child support due to the fact that I can't support the baby on my own as of yet and that's why he is going to have custody in the first place. This is very mutual and no angry feelings or animocity. What I want to know is what are the grounds for legal separation in Georgia and do I have to pay alimony and child support even though my husband and I have come to this agreement.
I hope you realize that if you give your husband custody now, that means that your husband will pretty much have custody permanently. Please do not have a false idea that your husband will give custody of the baby to you when you get on your feet....because the odds of that happening are extremely slim. I realize that you don't have financial resources, but you honestly need to find some way to have an attorney representing you and protecting your rights.

baker71179 said:

Georgia is a good ole, "no fault" state, have fun with your seperation and divorce. If you and your husband reach an agreement not to pursue childsupport or alimony at this time, then you are safe for now. However, this can always change with the needs of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">