• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to locate old life insurance policies..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpetersen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My husband and his ex wife had multiple insurance policies which were listed as community property in 1979. We have since married, 1984, husband has developed dementia. I am applying for Medi-cal. I don't know anything about the policies now as this was between former wife in the divorce agreement. As far as I know, they no longer existed when my husband and I married. What should I do, contact the life insurance companies to see if the policies have been canceled. I have a time limit of 9 days now (info needs to be submitted within 10 days). Medi-cal is sorely needed now.
Thanks
Marianne

tranquility

All you can do is call the company(s) and tell them your issue. They may or may not help. Even with a whole life policy that built up some substantial value, that value goes down pretty quickly if the policy stays in effect without additional premiums being paid in. If you make a good faith effort to find out on your own and have a reasonable basis for believing they had lapsed, even if there was something still in force that has some value, I can't see you getting in real trouble with the state. Worst case is, if found out, you would have to pay down the value before getting more benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">