• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long am I required to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redline350z

My wife and I got legally seperated on December 6th and she moved to the state of Florida. How long do I have to hold things she left at the house? I want to get rid of it but don't want to pay anything. She has about 7 big boxes of stuff.

I reside in the State of Washington

Thank you Much

mistoffolees

My wife and I got legally seperated on December 6th and she moved to the state of Florida. How long do I have to hold things she left at the house? I want to get rid of it but don't want to pay anything. She has about 7 big boxes of stuff.

I reside in the State of Washington

Thank you Much
What does your separation agreement say about her property? Does it give her a timeline?

If there is no timeline, then it's pretty much a gray area.

Since it's only 7 boxes, I'd send her a registered letter telling her that she has 30 days to get it or it will be disposed of to encourage her to get it. Then, if she doesn't get it, I'd put it up into the attic rather than throwing it out. It's not going to take up that much space and you might as well save yourself legal trouble and expense down the road.

LdiJ

What does your separation agreement say about her property? Does it give her a timeline?

If there is no timeline, then it's pretty much a gray area.

Since it's only 7 boxes, I'd send her a registered letter telling her that she has 30 days to get it or it will be disposed of to encourage her to get it. Then, if she doesn't get it, I'd put it up into the attic rather than throwing it out. It's not going to take up that much space and you might as well save yourself legal trouble and expense down the road.
I would echo this advise. Put the boxes somewhere out of sight but don't get rid of them. Attic, garage, storage shed, spare room etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">