• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can I drag out divorce proceedings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marnie48

Minnesota.
My husband just delivered divorce papers (himself) and asked me to sign and return them within 30 days. Here's the thing. I would like to drag this out as long as possible. He has a very wealthy, elderly father who may not be around very much longer and is likely to leave a large inheritance. This divorce will leave me with full custody of 4 children and not much money. It is in the interest of me and my children to not have the divorce go through for a long time. How long can I drag it out? I have very little money to pay an attorney.

Just Blue

Minnesota.
My husband just delivered divorce papers (himself) and asked me to sign and return them within 30 days. Here's the thing. I would like to drag this out as long as possible. He has a very wealthy, elderly father who may not be around very much longer and is likely to leave a large inheritance. This divorce will leave me with full custody of 4 children and not much money. It is in the interest of me and my children to not have the divorce go through for a long time. How long can I drag it out? I have very little money to pay an attorney.
What a sleaze. Disgusting.

LdiJ

Minnesota.
You do realize that an inheritance is separate property that does not get shared with the other spouse, in a divorce?

You do realize that only income from the inheritance, not the inheritance itself would have anything to do with a child support calculation?

Proserpina

Minnesota.
Do let us know more details.

We may wish to help your husband obtain custody of his children, and perhaps assist him in filing for child support.

mistoffolees

You do realize that an inheritance is separate property that does not get shared with the other spouse, in a divorce?

You do realize that only income from the inheritance, not the inheritance itself would have anything to do with a child support calculation?
And I hope OP realizes that as soon as she tries to collect that money, her husband will realize how slimy she is. Since he'll be able to afford a great attorney, she could lose the kids and everything else (at least if there's any justice in the world).

marnie48

Perhaps I should have explained more. For several years now, husband has no interest in custody or visitation of his 4 children. He has moved in with another woman and has started a new life. I am working full time and barely making ends meet. With the proposed support, the kids and I are now in danger of losing our modest home. Believe me, when the welfare of your children is at stake, you act differently. It is very easy to sit back and judge when you are safe and secure. Try not to.
Marnie

Last edited:

mommyof4

Perhaps I should have explained more. Husband has no interest in custody or visitation of his 4 children. He has moved in with another woman and has started a new life. With the proposed support, I'm in danger of losing my modest home. Believe me, when the welfare of your children is at stake, you act differently. It must be very easy to sit back and judge when you are safe and secure.
Marnie
Then get one of them thar newfangled thangys called a FREAKING JOB.

There is no way to pretty up your money grubbing question. None.

Proserpina

Perhaps I should have explained more. Husband has no interest in custody or visitation of his 4 children. He has moved in with another woman and has started a new life. With the proposed support, I'm in danger of losing my modest home. Believe me, when the welfare of your children is at stake, you act differently. It must be very easy to sit back and judge when you are safe and secure.
Marnie
You are assuming that none of us have been in a similar situation. Perhaps you should think twice about that.

You need to support yourself. He will, if you are awarded custody, probably be paying child support - but you are also expected to support your children.

Because like it or not, that inheritance does not have your name on it.

LdiJ

Then get one of them thar newfangled thangys called a FREAKING JOB.

There is no way to pretty up your money grubbing question. None.
While her original response may not have indicated as such, she did edit it to add that she is working full time and that he abandoned the family several year ago, and apparently financially as well.

I don't think it was appropriate at all, in this case, to assume that she was not working. There was absolutely nothing in any of her posts to indicate that she was not working.

After reading her revised post, I am not even sure I would call her money grubbing. Uneducated in family law and hoping for a windfall for her 4 children yes, money grubbing no.

With 4 kids the marriage couldn't have been terribly short before dad abandoned the family.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While her original response may not have indicated as such, she did edit it to add that she is working full time and that he abandoned the family several year ago, and apparently financially as well.

I don't think it was appropriate at all, in this case, to assume that she was not working. There was absolutely nothing in any of her posts to indicate that she was not working.

After reading her revised post, I am not even sure I would call her money grubbing. Uneducated in family law and hoping for a windfall for her 4 children yes, money grubbing no.

With 4 kids the marriage couldn't have been terribly short before dad abandoned the family.
She wants to delay a divorce until her father in law kicks off so she gets some of her husband's inheritance? That is a very good example of money grubbing. But of course, she is mom and therefore you would defend her. What if it were dad here waiting for his mother in law to kick off to get some of her inheritance to support his children?

Proserpina

Dang I've re-read this one over and over, but I'm just not seeing it the same way.

If anything having the divorce finalized sooner would mean she'd (theoretically) be receiving that much-needed child support sooner - wouldn't that be the logical choice if the welfare of the children was truly the priority?

LdiJ

She wants to delay a divorce until her father in law kicks off so she gets some of her husband's inheritance? That is a very good example of money grubbing. But of course, she is mom and therefore you would defend her. What if it were dad here waiting for his mother in law to kick off to get some of her inheritance to support his children?
If mom abandoned the family and left dad struggling to support 4 children my opinion would be exactly the same.

It doesn't change the first answer I gave...which I hope that you read because it flatly informed her than an inheritance was separate property and that only income from an inheritance could be included in a child support calculation.

However that does not change the fact that I feel sympathy for ANY parent whose spouse abandons the family and leaves them struggling to support children...particularly when its as many as they have.

It also doesn't change the fact that I think its a bit unfair to tell a parent to "get a freaking job" when there is no indication that the parent isn't working. If mommyof4 had asked her if she was working, and got a response of no, and then had said "get a freaking job", I probably would not have commented.

mistoffolees

Well, yes, but I'm sure Bali is pleased to see that everyone chastised a woman for wanting to go after money that she isn't entitled to. After all, Bali is convinced that women are encouraged to do that in this forum.

Proserpina

Well, yes, but I'm sure Bali is pleased to see that everyone chastised a woman for wanting to go after money that she isn't entitled to. After all, Bali is convinced that women are encouraged to do that in this forum.
Mmhmm...yep, that thought had occurred to me too ;)

marnie48

It's Marnie, the money grubbing mom one last time. You people are brutal. I work full time. Four kids are hard to support. We were married 20 years. I'm buying second hand shoes for kiddies to go back to school while his live-in gf is sporting a lovely new emerald ring. That's reality. I get it. I also get that divorcing me now means we split everything down the middle. Divorcing after his inheritance would leave me with more of my own assets. His inheritance would mean he had the means to buy his own place instead of having to sell the house I now live in with the kids. Doesn't a good lawyer go in with no assumptions about their client's guilt? You folks assumed I was a deadbeat, no good, greedy woman. Thanks a ton. Enlightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">