• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can i wait?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

useruser123

This is in Alabama.

I just have a quick question.....

Just so there is no confusion, i will clarify a few things.

My husband & I were married for only 6 short months & he decided that he wanted a divorce. After much thought I agreed that it would be the best thing and agreed to part under irreconcilable differances. Since we werent married very long we did not have any joint assets and it was agreed that what was his he would keep & what was mine I would keep. I could not afford a lawyer of my own so he filed for the divorce and his lawyer drew up papers but in the papers it said that i would take possession of one of the loans that he had, which was in his name. Because of this altrication i would not sign the papers and demanded that new papers be drawn up. I have not heard from him or had any contact with him for 2 1/2 years. We lived in seperate towns.

After a 2 years of seperation I began dating another man and I have heard that he was dating another woman but they have since broken up. But now he has found out that I am dating someone he has now contacted me & said that he is going to sue me for adultry.

So my question is...can he do this? I heard nothing from him for 2 1/2 years. I am at my wits end because i cannot afford a lawyer.
PLEASE HELP!!!

LegalBeagle

useruser123 said:
This is in Alabama.

I just have a quick question.....

Just so there is no confusion, i will clarify a few things.

My husband & I were married for only 6 short months & he decided that he wanted a divorce. After much thought I agreed that it would be the best thing and agreed to part under irreconcilable differances. Since we werent married very long we did not have any joint assets and it was agreed that what was his he would keep & what was mine I would keep. I could not afford a lawyer of my own so he filed for the divorce and his lawyer drew up papers but in the papers it said that i would take possession of one of the loans that he had, which was in his name. Because of this altrication i would not sign the papers and demanded that new papers be drawn up. I have not heard from him or had any contact with him for 2 1/2 years. We lived in seperate towns.

After a 2 years of seperation I began dating another man and I have heard that he was dating another woman but they have since broken up. But now he has found out that I am dating someone he has now contacted me & said that he is going to sue me for adultry.

So my question is...can he do this? I heard nothing from him for 2 1/2 years. I am at my wits end because i cannot afford a lawyer.
PLEASE HELP!!!
He can do anything he wants.. but unlikely to do so since he has obviously gone nuts. I suggest you retain an attorney and finish this issue so he has zero control in your life.

T

Tretti

useruser123 Call around to different divorce lawyers in your area maybe you will be lucky enough to find one that will accept payment plans.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">