• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to keep my ex's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

too much junk

My divorce is final now for about a month. my ex wife has not lived with me for 6 months.
How long do I have to keep her property that she will not take?What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What stuff didn't she take? Have you asked her when she is coming to get it? If it was awarded to her in the divorce she has a "reasonable" amount of time -- reasonable is determined by the court -- to get the items after the final decre if there is NO time limit in the decree. Try sending her a letter asking her when she is going to pick it up.

too much junk

What stuff didn't she take? Have you asked her when she is coming to get it? If it was awarded to her in the divorce she has a "reasonable" amount of time -- reasonable is determined by the court -- to get the items after the final decre if there is NO time limit in the decree. Try sending her a letter asking her when she is going to pick it up.
She left a bunch here cloths, kitchen stuff, ect. She says she has no place for it but neither do I. I'm try to move on with my life but I still have to deal with her stuff. Is there a point when the property we divided becomes mine from defalut?

Just Blue

She left a bunch here cloths, kitchen stuff, ect. She says she has no place for it but neither do I. I'm try to move on with my life but I still have to deal with her stuff. Is there a point when the property we divided becomes mine from defalut?
Send her a letter CRRR telling her she has 30 days to remove her belongings. If they are not removed you will consider them abandoned and donate to Goodwill. Back up the letter with an e-mail.

too much junk

Will that apply to things I that I want to keep. In the divorce I let her have the TV and entertainment center. Can I tell her to get it in 30 day or its abondoned?

LdiJ

Will that apply to things I that I want to keep. In the divorce I let her have the TV and entertainment center. Can I tell her to get it in 30 day or its abondoned?
That's a little trickier. Quite frankly, if the divorce grants it to her, I would push her hard to get it picked up within 30 days, but I wouldn't try to keep it if she's later than that.

Bali Hai

That's a little trickier. Quite frankly, if the divorce grants it to her, I would push her hard to get it picked up within 30 days, but I wouldn't try to keep it if she's later than that.
Is your reasoning because she is a woman??

LdiJ

Is your reasoning because she is a woman??
No, my reasoning is because he can be held in contempt of court if he refuses to give her property that was awarded to her in the divorce. This has nothing to do with gender.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, my reasoning is because he can be held in contempt of court if he refuses to give her property that was awarded to her in the divorce. This has nothing to do with gender.
And the more expensive the items are to replace the more likely someone will march back to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">