• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to wait?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itneverends2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have been separated from my husband since fall 2006. He filed for divorce nearly two years ago.

We reached a financial settlement but he won't sign anything. My lawyer contacted his to finish the divorce and they determined that we both need to drop our financial claims against each other in order to proceed. I dropped mine.

The last I heard, his lawyer said he will file the papers to drop his claims when he gets the signed consent to the divorce back from my husband. The problem is my husband has not signed it or returned it.

I want to push the issue but my lawyer insists that if they refuse to drop the financial claims, THEY have to pay for the master. But they do not request a master.

We're stuck in a complete halt because even though we agreed on the terms and even the lawyers have spoken, my husband does nothing to make it happen. It's been more than two years.

My lawyer still insists that they have to request the master. What if they don't? How long can he keep me married to him? I thought about requesting the master then suing him to pay for it as part of the settlement because he is the one who is dragging this out forever. I signed my consent almost a year ago. I've been waiting on him ever since.

mistoffolees

Ask your lawyer to move forward. Your attorney can request a hearing.

However, it's not likely that you're going to be able to force your stbx to pay for it. Simply refusing to sign isn't such an atrocious thing that the court is likely to hold him liable for your expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">