• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long do you have to wait after a divorce to remarry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babigurl

What is the name of your state? TX

I was wondering if there is a 30 day waiting period after the judge signs the divorce papers before you can remarry. And if so, what if you marry in a different state?

majomom1

Ohiogal Quote:
Originally Posted by Clt747
Maybe wanting to be married before her due date?

She never would have gotten the divorce then.
Yes should would... if she wanted to be married to daddy...

TinkerBelleLuvr

OG is correct. In order to get a divorce in Texas, the woman cannot be pregnant. So, if she is pregnant, but saying she is not, then she is guilty of perjury and whatever other sanctions OG says she is guilty of.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Ooops, I didn't mean to get the thread veering off into thinking the OP is pregnant. It was just a sort of speculative joke that sidetracked the question. Sorry.

But to contribute: if there's a thirty day waiting period, there's a thirty day waiting period. I'm not so sure telling babigurl not to worry about the law because bigamists frequently get away with it is the best advise she can get, even on a free site.

majomom1

Original post by: Clt747
Ooops, I didn't mean to get the thread veering off into thinking the OP is pregnant. It was just a sort of speculative joke that sidetracked the question. Sorry.

But to contribute: if there's a thirty day waiting period, there's a thirty day waiting period. I'm not so sure telling babigurl not to worry about the law because bigamists frequently get away with it is the best advise she can get, even on a free site.

I don't think you veered off alone... and I loved the jokes!

Quite frankly, I think this has to be one of the more stupid questions posted on FA. Considering some of the other truly complicated situations posted on this board...

There are a hundred thousand things I would like to have within 30 days... Being able to marry... within 30 days of divorce is not one of them.

LdiJ

OP may not be the soon to be ex wife.....OP may be the girlfriend of the soon to be ex-husband.;)

VeronicaLodge

i would think the 30 days has to do with making sure the final divorce is not appealed? what happens if you get married and the divorce decree gets appealed and thus you aren't really divorced?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">