• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does it take to get a court date???????????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mishmish3240

YOUR STATE NAME - ND
I filed for divorce in October of 2001. Because my husband is running from the law the authorities were unable to serve him the papers. My attorney was forced to post the summons for divorce in the local newspapers. His attorney responded to the complaint on the 29th day. This was in April of 2002. I am still waiting for a court date!!!! How long does it generally take for a court date to be set up. What are some of the causes for delay?????? mishmish3240

D

dorenephilpot

There's no specific answer anyone can give you.

How quickly you get a hearing depends on several factors, including how quickly your attorneys ASKS for a hearing, how bogged down the court's calendar is, how long of a hearing your attorney asks for (i.e. you're going to get a lot quicker hearing if you ask for a half hour, as opposed to five days, for your hearing), whether someone who already had a quick time slot canceled their hearing right before your request for a hearing crossed the clerk's desk, etc.

I tell clients it takes six weeks for a provisional hearing in a divorce (on temporary custody, support, visitation). It can take months for a final hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">