• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long does it take to get divorced in CA? Can I remarry immediately?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juanacar

What is the name of your state? California.

We both want to get divorced asap and I want to get married right away. How long would that process take?
We don't have any children. Only the house is under both our names. We want to make it as easy and fast as possible.
Do we have to divide the house right away?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

juanacar said:
What is the name of your state? California.

We both want to get divorced asap and I want to get married right away. How long would that process take?
We don't have any children. Only the house is under both our names. We want to make it as easy and fast as possible.
Do we have to divide the house right away?

My response:

It takes a minimum of 6 months before a judge will sign the Judgment. You don't have to actually sell the house now; just as long as the division is set up in your Marital Settlement Agreement as to how, when, to whom, and how much. You could wait to do the property settlement for 20 years, if that's what you wanted to do.

But, you need to wait out the 6 month waiting period, which begins from the date your spouse is served with the Petition for dissolution.

You'll be able to remarry on the date that the judge signs the Entry of Judgment, and the clerk mails the same to you. Once that's Judgment is in your hands, you're free to get married.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">