• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to get divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smoozie

:confused: I live in Ohio and had my final hearing on January 13, 2009. As of today I still have not received nor had my ex received our divorce decree. When I was in court MY attorney said he would do the journal entry for this case. I have called several times to find out why I have not recv'd the decree yet and his secretary said he has been busy but will get to it. My question is how long does he have to get this decree together and could my divorce become invalid due to the length of time it is taking him to complete this? Please help because I really don't want to go thru this again.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:confused: I live in Ohio and had my final hearing on January 13, 2009. As of today I still have not received nor had my ex received our divorce decree. When I was in court MY attorney said he would do the journal entry for this case. I have called several times to find out why I have not recv'd the decree yet and his secretary said he has been busy but will get to it. My question is how long does he have to get this decree together and could my divorce become invalid due to the length of time it is taking him to complete this? Please help because I really don't want to go thru this again.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Most courts want it turned in within 30 days or so (the or so gives it lee way). And your divorce does not become invalid. HOWEVER, you are not divorced until the entry is signed by the judge AND timestamped by the clerk's office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">