• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long must one wait to get remarried after a divorce is filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emakin

What is the name of your state? California

I am currently looking into marrying my American boyfriend. I am Australian. We are pregnant, and were hoping to be able to complete the application process from the US.

It was brought to my attention the other day that even tho legally seperated from his exwife - they are not infact divorced.
This I know will definatley delay our marriage. But Im not sure how long. . . .Any ideas?? ? ?
I was wondering if it was definately nessecary to have the final devorce papers - or if it was ok to have a copy of the filed papers and letters from both parties - stating that the marriage has been over for years.

Also - does anyone know of a good but inexpenseve attorney who can assist in the filing of the papers??? Thanks

LdiJ

emakin said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am currently looking into marrying my American boyfriend. I am Australian. We are pregnant, and were hoping to be able to complete the application process from the US.

It was brought to my attention the other day that even tho legally seperated from his exwife - they are not infact divorced.
This I know will definatley delay our marriage. But Im not sure how long. . . .Any ideas?? ? ?
I was wondering if it was definately nessecary to have the final devorce papers - or if it was ok to have a copy of the filed papers and letters from both parties - stating that the marriage has been over for years.

Also - does anyone know of a good but inexpenseve attorney who can assist in the filing of the papers??? Thanks
You would not be able to marry until after the divorce is FINAL. This can easily take as much as 6 months, or even longer.

emakin

Thanks for the info . . . .
My next question is - if its not a complicated divorce, That is, everyone agrees that it is over, and no one is arguing for anything - there are no children involved etc. What sort of time frame are we looking?? I see that it was said anywhere up to 6months or more - but whats the least amount of time it would take to finalize everything??
Sorry to go on - this is all new to me!
Thanks for your help!

rmet4nzkx

In California, it could be as little as 6 months or never.

You said he had only legally separated, that is not the same as divorce and he cannot remary until after divorce is complete.

That is a significant thing to fail to discolose to you.

It might be wist to look it up on the net to see the actual status.
Go to the website for the county where the legal separation is filed, most but not all are on line. http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/trial/courtlist.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">