• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long for an uncontested divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackjohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm asking for a friend so I might lack some pertinent info, but hopefully this is enough information to get an accurate answer.

How long does it take to get a divorce in New York City if the couple goes to the lawyer together to dissolve the marriage? They have 1 child but no property. It appears to be an amicable divorce. There are no disputes.

He already pays $100 a week to his future ex-wife.

How long does it take to get an uncontested divorce? How long does it take to get the final appointment with the judge after meeting and paying the divorce lawyer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BL

About two month .

If you have no issues , and meet the grounds for A UD .

The UD can be prepared by an attorney , reviewed by an attorney , or the plaintiff .

There are UD packets at the clerks office for free .

You can request an RJI (REQUEST FOR JUDICIAL INTERVENTION) , and don't even have to appear in front of the judge .

Just submit the paperwork , or have the attorney submit it .

It can be frustrating , because some paperwork has to be filed with the court clerk , others have to be filed at the county clerks office .

Last edited:

LdiJ

About two month .

If you have no issues , and meet the grounds for A UD .

The UD can be prepared by an attorney , reviewed by an attorney , or the plaintiff .

There are UD packets at the clerks office for free .

You can request an RJI (REQUEST FOR JUDICIAL INTERVENTION) , and don't even have to appear in front of the judge .

Just submit the paperwork , or have the attorney submit it .

It can be frustrating , because some paperwork has to be filed with the court clerk , others have to be filed at the county clerks office .
I thought that you had to be legally separated in NY, for one year, before you could get a divorce without "grounds"?

BL

That may still be so , but I searched no-fault , I'm not sure if it's in effect or not .

The grounds do not include accusations of bad conduct against the plaintiff unless such bad conduct rises to the level of cruel and inhuman treatment. In New York none of the following are grounds for divorce:

Irreconcilable differences
Incompatibility
No-fault
Mutual consent
No communication

http://www.silaw.com/divgrnds.html

Free Legal Forms - New York No-Fault Divorce (No Children) - Uncontested Divorce

NY wants a better no-fault divorce law

I did mine in 1998 , but we had been separated for years ( not legal ) .

I used grounds though .

That's why I said if you meet the grounds .

Last edited:

Bali Hai

That may still be so , but I searched no-fault , I'm not sure if it's in effect or not .

The grounds do not include accusations of bad conduct against the plaintiff unless such bad conduct rises to the level of cruel and inhuman treatment. In New York none of the following are grounds for divorce:

Incompatibility
No-fault
Mutual consent
No communication

NY Grounds for Divorce

Free Legal Forms - New York No-Fault Divorce (No Children) - Uncontested Divorce

NY wants a better no-fault divorce law

I did mine in 1998 , but we had been separated for years ( not legal ) .

I used grounds though .

That's why I said if you meet the grounds .
Well, I don't know what you've been smoking, but you did not get a New York, USA divorce on any of those grounds!

And LD is right, you have to wait one year after filing a legal separation with the court before a divorce will be granted.

If you proceed with grounds, it will likely be a year or more unless the case proceeds very very smoothly.

BL

Well, I don't know what you've been smoking, but you did not get a New York, USA divorce on any of those grounds!

And LD is right, you have to wait one year after filing a legal separation with the court before a divorce will be granted.

If you proceed with grounds, it will likely be a year or more unless the case proceeds very very smoothly.
Bali Hai , read a little carefully . I said I got my NY UD on grounds .
I used grounds though .

Incompatibility
No-fault
Mutual consent
No communication

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">