• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is the wait when filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

86him

What is the name of your state? CA
When the divorce papers are signed and filed with the court, how long does it take for the divorce to be legal? One of the petitioners wants to be wed on 10/20, however nothing has been signed and received by the court.:confused:

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? CA
When the divorce papers are signed and filed with the court, how long does it take for the divorce to be legal? One of the petitioners wants to be wed on 10/20, however nothing has been signed and received by the court.:confused:
You have to file the papers first.

Then there's usually about a thirty day wait to get a court date.

Then it's three or four months to the court date.

I'd not planning the NEXT wedding till after you clean up the mess from the PREVIOUS wedding.

...The triumph of hope over reason....:D

ajs09876

six months

Once the papers are filed and you go to the first meeting it takes six months in CA and then you go to one more court date after the six months and you file. It does take a while to get a court date though, so you should probably push the wedding back a year or so! I know this only because my husband was married in California and got a divorce there while we were friends. Oh, and that's only if it's non contested and there's no kids and property and stuff to split up. Divorces can get nasty!:D

86him

First six mo's done...

The first six mo's have elapsed and the paperwork has been presented to the second party, the second party has looked over the papers with her lawyer, and has not signed them, nor has the petitioner. Obviously the court has not received anything. So, when the court receives the signed papers, it's six months from the day the court receives them, right? Because nothing would please me more than seeing my soon-to-be-ex-step-father-in-law's wedding canceled due to the fact that he thinks he knows CA law better than your state attorney. That being said, he is neither an attorney, nor does he know much else due to all the alcohol poisoning he has incrued upon himself.

ajs09876

ok

The second party has to sign them and then they have to go before a judge. This sometimes takes a while to get a court date. (2 months in my husband's case) and once the court has the papers it takes a six month period before they can get another court date. Then they will have to go again (or one of them, we were in Minnesota so hubby didn't go. I'm not sure what happens if they both live there) and then the judge signs it and it's final. This is a long process. Like I said, move the wedding.:)

ajs09876

Oh yeah

Like I said, that is only if it's uncontested. I'm not sure how it would work if there was minor children or property or alimony or any of that. You would have to look it up.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">