• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much detail do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kcmosher

What is the name of your state? California

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm using completecase.com to do my divorce and the forms have my head spinning.

My case is pretty simple. At this point, my wife and I have been married for just short of five years. We have no kids, no house, no investments. She left in January 2002 to move to Phoenix with her boyfriend-now-fiance. We each have all of our stuff all separated, and have for over a year now. The bills still need to be sorted out on the forms, but we already have agreed how to do that in an equal way. A great deal of our biggest debts and most expensive possessions were acquire post-separation anyway.

So, the question: how detailed do I need to get in itemizing things? It just seems really silly...we both want to be divorced, we're both happy with what we have and there are no questions or disagreements as to what possessions belong to who. The bills can and will be itemized, but these forms seem to be suggesting an absurd level of detail. 'Green sofa, entertainment center, coffee table' and whatnot including current market value!

Do I REALLY have to become a furniture appraiser just to get divorced? I really can't afford an attorney to do this for me (I was quoted around $1500 with at least $500 up front...no way on my current budget) so please, HELP!

K

kcmosher

By forms I mean the 'Property Declaration', I think. On completecase.com they ask you to list every asset, and give those types of items as examples.

They ask if there are any household furnishings, providing this explanation:

'EXPLANATION
This would include furniture, home electronices, kitchen items, decorations, etc. '

On the detailed itemized question following, they give the examples I listed above.

What puzzles me is why we can't just say 'my stuff is at this address, her stuff is at that address, we both sign and agree that it's even, now give us the damn divorce'. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">