• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much do I pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eperky

Illinois.
I used the calculator for Illinois on the web and they gave me a number that was 32% of my monthly gross. If I have the kids every other weekend, do I still have to pay the whole amount per month. Our divorce is not yet final, but I pay her about $900 a month. She has dragged the divorce out about a year now and I want to stop paying this amount per month. Can I just stop without ramifications?

Thanks.

LdiJ

eperky said:
Illinois.
I used the calculator for Illinois on the web and they gave me a number that was 32% of my monthly gross. If I have the kids every other weekend, do I still have to pay the whole amount per month. Our divorce is not yet final, but I pay her about $900 a month. She has dragged the divorce out about a year now and I want to stop paying this amount per month. Can I just stop without ramifications?

Thanks.
Yes, you still have to pay the full amount. If you stop paying the child support that you are paying now, its just going to bite you in the butt later.
However, if the amount that the calculator came up with is less...you might be able to safely reduce your monthly payment.

Remember, your children do still need to eat, have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, and all of the other basic necessities of life, even if your divorce isn't final yet.

eperky

One more question

Chicago, Illinois
What happens in a case of child support when I leave the corporate side to become self-employed. My income will fluctuate monthly. How do we figure out how much I should pay per month. Can you let the 32% rule play through each month? Alot of the pay will be 1099 checks.

Thanks

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LOL If it's a voluntary change in income, you don't get to decrease your support payments. You'll be expected to pay the same as before - how you come up with the money is up to you. Don't you think that many support paying NCPs would leave high-paying jobs to "find themselves" in self-employment if it meant they had to pay the evil ex less money? Get real, dude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">