• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much longer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deadlunch

I'm in NY....I had posted a while ago about my situation re: receiving my final divorce decree. A quick re-run...the divorce was final on Aug 18 '05, but my (ex) wife and her lawyer took a while to file the papers...long after the judge had stipulated (which was no more than 60 days...they filed in Dec -3 1/2 months after the hearing). Now the transcript from the court records the judge saying that filing later than her appointed time may be subject to dismissal of the case (as abandoned). My question is...since it's now been 2 months since the papers were filed and I have seen no final divorce decree...is it possible that the judge may have considered the case abandoned? How long does it usually take for a final divorce decree to be issued after a msa is submitted? This has been a long hard road and I just want to be sure it is over...or on its way to be over. Thanks for any responses.

LdiJ

Deadlunch said:
I'm in NY....I had posted a while ago about my situation re: receiving my final divorce decree. A quick re-run...the divorce was final on Aug 18 '05, but my (ex) wife and her lawyer took a while to file the papers...long after the judge had stipulated (which was no more than 60 days...they filed in Dec -3 1/2 months after the hearing). Now the transcript from the court records the judge saying that filing later than her appointed time may be subject to dismissal of the case (as abandoned). My question is...since it's now been 2 months since the papers were filed and I have seen no final divorce decree...is it possible that the judge may have considered the case abandoned? How long does it usually take for a final divorce decree to be issued after a msa is submitted? This has been a long hard road and I just want to be sure it is over...or on its way to be over. Thanks for any responses.
Call the court clerk and ask for information on the status of the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">