• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to take my ex wife off from mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sprovost

What is the name of your state? Maine
I've been divorced since march of this year. The ex did not want the house so judge awarded me house. The degree stated I would have to refinance to take her name off from mortgage in a reasonable amount of time. I have tried to refinance with the bank and also another mortgage company but because of a past bankruptcy they wouldn't refinance. Any ideas as to how I can go about taking her off from mortgage? I'm afraid she'll take me back to court.

LdiJ

I've been divorced since march of this year. The ex did not want the house so judge awarded me house. The degree stated I would have to refinance to take her name off from mortgage in a reasonable amount of time. I have tried to refinance with the bank and also another mortgage company but because of a past bankruptcy they wouldn't refinance. Any ideas as to how I can go about taking her off from mortgage? I'm afraid she'll take me back to court.
Just a word of warning....if you can't refinance the judge may order that the house be sold.

sprovost

Just a word of warning....if you can't refinance the judge may order that the house be sold.
hopefully the judge would take into consideration that this is the house that my 6 kids were brought up in and they consider this their home.

moburkes

hopefully the judge would take into consideration that this is the house that my 6 kids were brought up in and they consider this their home.
Your original order states that you must refinance. If you cannot do that, your ONLY option is to sell, in order for her NOT to be on a mortgage.

HomeGuru

**A: yes, sell the property. And it is a divorce decree, not a degree.

sprovost

**A: ask some Realtors.
I'm sorry but what I meant was in the divorce decree the judge said to refinance in a reasonable amount of time. I'm retired military and I could qualify for a VA loan in another year, would you think that would be reasonable?

HomeGuru

I'm sorry but what I meant was in the divorce decree the judge said to refinance in a reasonable amount of time. I'm retired military and I could qualify for a VA loan in another year, would you think that would be reasonable?
**A: not if your ex-wife does not agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">