• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to void a marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldenbride

i was married to a US citizen in 2006. after a year, i changed my SSS and employment records to carry my husband's last name. however, our marriage eventually fell apart after another year and my husband decided to quit on the marriage. he is in the US and i am left here with a married status. now that we can not be together anymore, what legal options do i have to get back my old surname.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

i was married to a US citizen in 2006. after a year, i changed my SSS and employment records to carry my husband's last name. however, our marriage eventually fell apart after another year and my husband decided to quit on the marriage. he is in the US and i am left here with a married status. now that we can not be together anymore, what legal options do i have to get back my old surname.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You would follow the laws of the country where you are residing.

realicious

Your husband may file for divorce against you in the state where he lives. During the filing, he may enter a term indicating the use of your own last name. When you receive a decree after the divorce is final you will get to know that you can use your last name or to request name changes. PS: When you receive a summon during the initial stage, sign it quickly and return it back to him via express/overnight mail. :)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your husband may file for divorce against you in the state where he lives. During the filing, he may enter a term indicating the use of your own last name. When you receive a decree after the divorce is final you will get to know that you can use your last name or to request name changes. PS: When you receive a summon during the initial stage, sign it quickly and return it back to him via express/overnight mail. :)
And, what state might THAT be? :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After reading this post again, I come to the realization that the ONLY thing the OP has asked about is getting her old name back. Again, this is a site for US LAW ONLY. You will have to speak to somebody in YOUR country to find out your options.

seniorjudge

After reading this post again, I come to the realization that the ONLY thing the OP has asked about is getting her old name back. Again, this is a site for US LAW ONLY. You will have to speak to somebody in YOUR country to find out your options.
And, I might add, use plenty of caffeine and sugar before doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">