• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husabdn moved out do I have to let him retrieve things?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jewls_4170

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband moved out over a week ago, I've let him take his personal proerty on two separate occasions. Do I have to grant him access again? He's threatening to bring the police.

BelizeBreeze

jewls_4170 said:
His name is not on the mortgage - we've only been married 5 months and the home is in my name only.
Did I say anything about the mortgage?
As it is, take his things and put them in the garage. Call him and tell him he can retrieve them for one hour during a specific time of the day.

Leave the garage open but all other doors locked, then leave someone there to supervise and you leave. Come back when the time is up and be done with it.

jewls_4170

But honestly - I don't want to make this easy for him. He's hurt me very badly and I don't intend to cooperate unless it's in my best interests. I know this sounds selfish and mean hearted, but his actions were very sudden and unexpected. We have a joint savings account where his payroll is deposited - I typically transfer funds to cover monthly bills (he's not closed it yet) - can I legally take some of this money to cover the bills incurred in October but are now due in November?

CO19

Lady, the man has a right to retrieve his belongings. If you do not allow him to do so, then also be prepared for the consequences. The last time a college ex tried to hold my belongings and play little "I'm hurt" games, as you are, he had a visit from the police and threat of theft by conversion charge if he didn't return. He willingly complied. The rest of your story is just that and the motions all pre-divorce couples need to deal with - take it up with your lawyer.

brisgirl825

jewls_4170 said:
But honestly - I don't want to make this easy for him. He's hurt me very badly and I don't intend to cooperate unless it's in my best interests. I know this sounds selfish and mean hearted, but his actions were very sudden and unexpected. We have a joint savings account where his payroll is deposited - I typically transfer funds to cover monthly bills (he's not closed it yet) - can I legally take some of this money to cover the bills incurred in October but are now due in November?
If the acct is jointly owned, then yes.

I understand that you are hurt however be glad you found out what he was like before you invested yrs or kids into the marriage. Be done with him, let him get his junk the way BB suggested. There are plenty of good guys out there, don't get emotional over an ex. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">