• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband decided he didn't want to be with me now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristina88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
My husband and I had moved to Arizona in March of this year to go stay with his parents until we got our own place again. On May 3rd, 2013 he decided that he no longer wanted to be with me and that I needed to leave there and go back to California. So I had to quit my job that I just started and he bought me a bus ticket and said he would ship my other stuff to me. He has yet to ship my stuff. He is working like 40 hours a week and sends me no money at all. Before we had left California he was unemployed for a long time and I was the only one working. Now he says he doesn't know what he wants because I told him if he wants a divorce to file for it then and he hasn't and said he is in no big hurry to do that. So while he can pay his fines off I am stuck with all these bills that are in my name that we occurred together that I have to pay and all he wants to do is his fines to get his license back. I am going to go down to the self help center and see what I have to do to try to file and get him to pay for his responsibilities.
We have been together for over 18 years and have been married for over 8 years. Someone else told me that half of what he is making should go to me right now since we are still married and not legally separated or anything. Does anyone know anything about what I should do or how I should go about this.

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
My husband and I had moved to Arizona in March of this year to go stay with his parents until we got our own place again. On May 3rd, 2013 he decided that he no longer wanted to be with me and that I needed to leave there and go back to California. So I had to quit my job that I just started and he bought me a bus ticket and said he would ship my other stuff to me. He has yet to ship my stuff. He is working like 40 hours a week and sends me no money at all. Before we had left California he was unemployed for a long time and I was the only one working. Now he says he doesn't know what he wants because I told him if he wants a divorce to file for it then and he hasn't and said he is in no big hurry to do that. So while he can pay his fines off I am stuck with all these bills that are in my name that we occurred together that I have to pay and all he wants to do is his fines to get his license back. I am going to go down to the self help center and see what I have to do to try to file and get him to pay for his responsibilities.
We have been together for over 18 years and have been married for over 8 years. Someone else told me that half of what he is making should go to me right now since we are still married and not legally separated or anything. Does anyone know anything about what I should do or how I should go about this.
If you're going to divorce him, I'd do it soon in California before he establishes residency in Arizona and files there. I suspect that may have been the plan all along.

As far as half of his income going directly to you, that's someone talking out of their proverbial behind.

OHRoadwarrior

Please tell me you are not complaining you both skipped out on your bills and now in order to stay back in CA, you are upset you must pay your creditors.:cool:

Kristina88

First off, no I am not complaining about paying my creditors what I owe them..My problem is that he is going to try to stick me to pay it all among other stuff. and I am going to see a lawyer tomorrow hopefully.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First off, no I am not complaining about paying my creditors what I owe them..My problem is that he is going to try to stick me to pay it all among other stuff. and I am going to see a lawyer tomorrow hopefully.
You have not lived in California at this juncture long enough to file for divorce. You need to get a job quite frankly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They moved FROM CA to AZ 2 mos ago - OP can still file in CA, I believe.
She just moved back on May 3 though.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1224.htm

Therefore she has not lived in California for the last six months and in the county for the last three months as required. So I don't think she can.

single317dad

I made some assumptions (yeah, I know how that turns out) from OP's post that led me to believe that she maintained the same residence in CA during the time she was in AZ. The fact that "bills in her name" were "piling up" led me to believe that she had simply returned to an established residence, possibly a home in foreclosure. Of course, I had no info as to whether OP had mail forwarded, changed her address on identification cards, started utility service in her name, etc, so that assumption was made all the more dangerous.

OP, any of this ringing a bell?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">