• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband denying access to marital property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caretta32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

We are in a trial moving to legal separation. Husband moved out end of august and took a jointly owned car. He is now denying me access to that vehicle and our company vehicle. I busted him in affair and he was using company vehicle for the indiscretions

Do i legal still have to jointly pay for 1/2 of car loan and 1/2 of insurance of that car and company vehicle?

He is saying he will pay for only 1/2 of household bills (mortgage, utilities) and nothing else. I do not deny him any access to the marital home b/c it is where he takes his visitation with his son when I am not there.

I have no problem he goes there because he takes care of injured dog (ACL surgery) when I pull double shift.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

We are in a trial moving to legal separation. Husband moved out end of august and took a jointly owned car. He is now denying me access to that vehicle and our company vehicle. I busted him in affair and he was using company vehicle for the indiscretions

Do i legal still have to jointly pay for 1/2 of car loan and 1/2 of insurance of that car and company vehicle?

He is saying he will pay for only 1/2 of household bills (mortgage, utilities) and nothing else. I do not deny him any access to the marital home b/c it is where he takes his visitation with his son when I am not there.

I have no problem he goes there because he takes care of injured dog (ACL surgery) when I pull double shift.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The problem is that until there are court orders, no one has to pay anything. However, you will ruin your credit rating if you don't - and possibly really irritate the judge.

Eventually, whoever gets the car will have to pay its expenses and whoever gets the home will probably pay its expenses.

Meanwhile, I don't think that's horribly unfair - he's paying half of the expenses for the home you live in while you pay half the expenses for the car he drives.

The only exception I would make is if you have no other means of transportation and he has two vehicles. Then it would be reasonable to ask the court to order him to turn one over to you.

caretta32

he comes and goes from house when ever he wants, eats, drinks,naps, watchs TV there when he wants and he wont sign anything stating who pays what bills so if i still pay 1/2 of the car I shouldnt be denied access correct?

mistoffolees

he comes and goes from house when ever he wants, eats, drinks,naps, watchs TV there when he wants and he wont sign anything stating who pays what bills so if i still pay 1/2 of the car I shouldnt be denied access correct?
I already answered your question.

And until there's a court order, you can't exclude him from the house.

caretta32

I know I can' stop him and dont want to but can he deny me access to the car if I am paying 1/2 of loan and car insurance on it and the company truck, that is the original question.

I wish he would move back home and live in the spare bedroom because this seperation is getting expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">