• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband Divorcing/abandoned Alien Wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PINK_LIPSTICK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Im having a Temp Green Card. Married for 18 months. Currently, i'm in the stage at risk because my Husband who petition me, wanted to file a divorce against me after i caught him a month ago with a stripper. He left out of country with the stripper, my soon tobe ex husband, ask me that we would live separately. I left our leased apartment and move with my brother. We dont have any kids. Financially, i earn more compare with his earning, but im classified under 1099.

What most concerns me is my Temp Green Card, since we are less than 2 years married and my green card is only 11 months old, could i still have a renewal of my Green Card? Or is there a way that i can have my green card even we are in divorce process.

Please advise.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Im having a Temp Green Card. Married for 18 months. Currently, i'm in the stage at risk because my Husband who petition me, wanted to file a divorce against me after i caught him a month ago with a stripper. He left out of country with the stripper, my soon tobe ex husband, ask me that we would live separately. I left our leased apartment and move with my brother. We dont have any kids. Financially, i earn more compare with his earning, but im classified under 1099.

What most concerns me is my Temp Green Card, since we are less than 2 years married and my green card is only 11 months old, could i still have a renewal of my Green Card? Or is there a way that i can have my green card even we are in divorce process.

Please advise.
You need to notify the INS that your address has changed at the very minimum.

Review the I-751 form that you will need to file with the INS for permanant residency and you will see that there is NO requirement that you stay married to obtain permanent residency. If your marriage was fraudulant for the purpose of entering the US, then you will have a big problem.

Your husband and any other person who may have sponsored you is legally obligated to the US government for your support so that you do not become a public charge.

You should contact an immigration attorney and discuss your case with them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to notify the INS that your address has changed at the very minimum.

Review the I-751 form that you will need to file with the INS for permanant residency and you will see that there is NO requirement that you stay married to obtain permanent residency. If your marriage was fraudulant for the purpose of entering the US, then you will have a big problem.

Your husband and any other person who may have sponsored you is legally obligated to the US government for your support so that you do not become a public charge.

You should contact an immigration attorney and discuss your case with them.
What Bali Hai stated -- actual legal advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">