• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband filed for divorce but never signed paperwork and it has been 10 years.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billie Crosby

What is the name of your state? CA to LA
My husband filed for divorce in CA where he lives. I moved to LA in 1997 but he never completed the divorce. We are legally separated, I think, and he and his lawyer had me sign away all our community property with what he explained could be changed in 7 years if I wanted. I could not afford an attorney. He always controlled all the money and everything else. We were married in 1960 and own a home in CA and have bank accounts and savings, etc. I have received nothing and don't want to take anything away from him as that is all that he cares about. What I want is some kind of agreement that if he dies I would get my half of all the community property. He is an obsessive compulsive and possibly bi-polar. We seem to be friends when I visit my family and he is nice to me, but he won't tell me what he plans to do with our assets down the road. I am now 65 and in poor health & too tired to fight him. I need some kind of security but am afraid of him. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA to LA
My husband filed for divorce in CA where he lives. I moved to LA in 1997 but he never completed the divorce. We are legally separated, I think, and he and his lawyer had me sign away all our community property with what he explained could be changed in 7 years if I wanted. I could not afford an attorney. He always controlled all the money and everything else. We were married in 1960 and own a home in CA and have bank accounts and savings, etc. I have received nothing and don't want to take anything away from him as that is all that he cares about. What I want is some kind of agreement that if he dies I would get my half of all the community property. He is an obsessive compulsive and possibly bi-polar. We seem to be friends when I visit my family and he is nice to me, but he won't tell me what he plans to do with our assets down the road. I am now 65 and in poor health & too tired to fight him. I need some kind of security but am afraid of him. Thank you.What is the name of your state?
You need a consult with a local attorney. Someone who can investigate the situation and see where you stand.

SHORTY LONG

I don't have the money for that. I never ask him for anything and have had to go on SSI.
Since you are a Senior Citizen, and have little monies, you are eligible for various Services, including Legal.
You need to search out these in your locale area by way of the Computer, and or
the Telephone Book, and would not hurt to ask any of your friends that are also
Senior Citizens. Also, you can contact the Social Security Administration for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">