• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband filed for divorce and threatening my eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Svkron58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA My husband recently filed for a no contest divorce in Wyoming county PA. Although he has not officially served me the papers I have viewed them. We have lived in a house on his family property for the past 10 years. We have jointly paid all the bills on the house and made some repairs. We have also paid rent but not consistently as we both lost our jobs this past year. But my husband has done work for his Sister in lieu of rent during the year. When his parents were alive my husband was told that some of the property and the house would be left to him in their will. But his mother who passed away two years ago was put in an assisted living facility which my husband's sister and bother-n-law paid for. So we were informed by them that all the property and the house were left to them. So now they are threatening to evict both of us, since we are still married, and allow him to live on a cabin that is also on the property. Unfortunately, I currently am unemployed and have no money, income, or a working vehicle. I am being threatened with a 10 day eviction notice although I am unaware of any type of lease agreement between my husband and myself and his sister and brother-in-law. As my husband has mental health issues, I am very glad to finally be able to remove myself from this very unhealthy marriage. I am relieved that his family is willing to step in and assist him with his needs. However, his mental health issues and lack of income has put me in a very destitute situation. Although I have been working until just recently, my income only barely paid the bills. What are my options? I have some things that I can try to sell but that will take some time. Can I be given a 10 day eviction notice? Also, how can I research to make sure that none of this property is indeed not in my husbands name? Thank you for any assistance offered

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA My husband recently filed for a no contest divorce in Wyoming county PA. Although he has not officially served me the papers I have viewed them. We have lived in a house on his family property for the past 10 years. We have jointly paid all the bills on the house and made some repairs. We have also paid rent but not consistently as we both lost our jobs this past year. But my husband has done work for his Sister in lieu of rent during the year. When his parents were alive my husband was told that some of the property and the house would be left to him in their will. But his mother who passed away two years ago was put in an assisted living facility which my husband's sister and bother-n-law paid for. So we were informed by them that all the property and the house were left to them. So now they are threatening to evict both of us, since we are still married, and allow him to live on a cabin that is also on the property. Unfortunately, I currently am unemployed and have no money, income, or a working vehicle. I am being threatened with a 10 day eviction notice although I am unaware of any type of lease agreement between my husband and myself and his sister and brother-in-law. As my husband has mental health issues, I am very glad to finally be able to remove myself from this very unhealthy marriage. I am relieved that his family is willing to step in and assist him with his needs. However, his mental health issues and lack of income has put me in a very destitute situation. Although I have been working until just recently, my income only barely paid the bills. What are my options? I have some things that I can try to sell but that will take some time. Can I be given a 10 day eviction notice? Also, how can I research to make sure that none of this property is indeed not in my husbands name? Thank you for any assistance offered
It doesn't matter whether your husband's name is on any of the property or not. If his name is on the property at all it would be an inheritance or gift and that would remain his separate property in a divorce.

They cannot actually evict you. They would have to take it to court and get an eviction order from a judge. The 10 day notice is to give you a warning that they are going to take it to court if you do not move out within 10 days. Do you have any family who could help you out?

Eekamouse

You're unemployed too so how does his unemployment and mental health issues put you in a destitute situation that you aren't all ready in? Sounds to me like the family is willing to help your STBX out but want you gone. You should probably go. Your problems are not his family's problems and you are entitled to nothing should he stand to inherit anything so there is nothing for you to try to fight him for.

I'mTheFather

Hm. If husband actually did inherit the house....

He inherited it 2 years ago.
Marital money was used to maintain it.
It was used for the benefit of both.
Equitable Distribution state.

I'm not sure it's always separate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">