• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband going to jail I want divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohque

I live in Ohio. My husband is going to jail for not fileing or paying his city taxes for 5 years. I don't know yet how long he will be serving, but I want a divorce. How do I go about it? He may be in for longer if they catch him on his state and federal for the same years. Does this make any difference to anything?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

I live in Ohio. My husband is going to jail for not fileing or paying his city taxes for 5 years. I don't know yet how long he will be serving, but I want a divorce. How do I go about it? He may be in for longer if they catch him on his state and federal for the same years. Does this make any difference to anything?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Are you sure that he is going to jail? Its generally pretty rare for a taxing authority to actually send someone to jail, because if they are in jail they cannot be generating any income to pay the tax.

Jail is usually reserved for very high profile cases or cases of serious fraud.

In any case, you file for divorce the same way that anyone else would file for divorce, preferibly with an attorney.

You also need to make sure that YOUR taxes are all in order.

ohque

Yes, I have filed my taxes always. They are up to date. I always gave him the chance to file his too, but he chose not to. I'm waiting to see if State and Federal are right behind the City in catching him.

Dewey

I am intensely interested in this. I know of someone who has actively evaded federal and state income tax by falsifying his personal and business tax returns for at least 10 years.

Wonder if he'd get jail time, too?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">