• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband left house. Going throug divorce. Can he return home without my approval?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisebinkley76

State: WA

I am going through divorce (12 years marriage). My husband and I are still legally married. He left the house on 01/01/15 (after I found our he was cheating on me for a year). He is saying now that he wants to return to the our house (we both pay the mortgage).

Does he have legal rights to return to the house, while we are separated (not legally) and going through divorce?

Thanks,

xylene

You need to get on the phone with your lawyer and see about a hearing to establish a temporary order concerning your shared property.

Silverplum

State: WA

I am going through divorce (12 years marriage). My husband and I are still legally married. He left the house on 01/01/15 (after I found our he was cheating on me for a year). He is saying now that he wants to return to the our house (we both pay the mortgage).

Does he have legal rights to return to the house, while we are separated (not legally) and going through divorce?

Thanks,
Yes, he does. Until/unless you successfully follow xylene's advice.

davew128

You need to get on the phone with your lawyer and see about a hearing to establish a temporary order concerning your shared property.
and be prepared to have to pay the mortgage 100% on your own if you do. Right wrong or otherwise, I can easily see someone deciding to not pay their share of the mortgage if they aren't allowed access to the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">