• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband Moved in new girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jodi Lynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?California
My husband and I have been together for 28 years we have 4 grown children they are all moved out. He is now living at his mothers house she died 2 years ago he has been living there ever since, I helped him clean out the house for months then my mother became ill and I have been back and forth from his house to my moms house because I am taking care of my mom. Well before I knew it he has another girlfriend moved her in his moms house and just kicked me to the curb. For months he told me when he sells the house I will get half because of all the work I did in the house well now its changed since he has a new girlfriend he does not give me any money anymore and he said he is not giving me half of the money like he promised me. is there anyway I can get him legally to pay me what was promised to me,

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your option is to file for divorce. Your local court house will have a self-help center.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband and I have been together for 28 years we have 4 grown children they are all moved out. He is now living at his mothers house she died 2 years ago he has been living there ever since, I helped him clean out the house for months then my mother became ill and I have been back and forth from his house to my moms house because I am taking care of my mom. Well before I knew it he has another girlfriend moved her in his moms house and just kicked me to the curb. For months he told me when he sells the house I will get half because of all the work I did in the house well now its changed since he has a new girlfriend he does not give me any money anymore and he said he is not giving me half of the money like he promised me. is there anyway I can get him legally to pay me what was promised to me,
You are not entitled to ANY of his mother's home -- even if he now owns it because that is an inheritance which is separate property. You need to look at getting a job and supporting yourself. Where does he work? How much does he earn? How much do you earn?

CJane

You are not entitled to ANY of his mother's home -- even if he now owns it because that is an inheritance which is separate property. You need to look at getting a job and supporting yourself. Where does he work? How much does he earn? How much do you earn?
Could an argument be made that it's been the MARITAL HOME, regardless of inheritance? Especially if OP has put equity (of the financial or sweat type) into it? It's been their home for 2 years, and he just illegally evicted her.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Could an argument be made that it's been the MARITAL HOME, regardless of inheritance? Especially if OP has put equity (of the financial or sweat type) into it? It's been their home for 2 years, and he just illegally evicted her.
Based on what I've highlighted above, the "illegal eviction" ship sailed a long time ago. Furthermore, it sounds as if this was never truly the "marital home".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't see it going anywhere (I read Zigner's response before posting and agree with him) because the most she would be expected to get would be only that which she can prove she put into it... I don't know what that would amount to since she didn't do much for the house but clean it according to her.

CJane

A timeline would help. Because *I read that his mother died two years ago, and they have BOTH been living there since, though recently OP's mother has become ill and she's been splitting time between caring for her ailing mother and living in the home with her husband. THEN, he "just kicked her to the curb".

So, in my head - marital home for a couple of years until whenever he kicked her out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A timeline would help. Because *I read that his mother died two years ago, and they have BOTH been living there since, though recently OP's mother has become ill and she's been splitting time between caring for her ailing mother and living in the home with her husband. THEN, he "just kicked her to the curb".

So, in my head - marital home for a couple of years until whenever he kicked her out.
Well it would clarify things. But if she lived there for two years, how much marital income can she prove was used on the home? In addition it is not completely marital property. A slim portion might be (the change in value since he inherited MAYBE).

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well it would clarify things. But if she lived there for two years, how much marital income can she prove was used on the home? In addition it is not completely marital property. A slim portion might be (the change in value since he inherited MAYBE).
OR maybe she could charge a "cleaning fee". ;)

Depending on what "cleaning for months" means, she could have a point... A friend of a friend was recently found dead, and since the woman was a hoarder, it really would take months to get the place to a point where anyone could do the work necessary to make it livable if one were doing something other than just leveling the place.

Did OP and her husband share an owned marital home before mother-in-law died? If so, what happened to it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">