• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband not paying credit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicp1552

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
My husband has decided to not pay my credit cards and let them go into default and he said we will work out a plan with the companies after 6 months or so. Meanwhile, he is continuing to pay his. We have been having marriage difficulties so this is his way of getting back at me. I have been a stay at home mom for 5 years, although I have been working part-time (only about 10 hours a week) recently. He has always controlled the money. Ever since I stayed home, I used the cards to purchase groceries, clothing, and other household expenses and he would make the payments every month.

In the event that we separate or divorce, how does that work with our debt? I know that this is affecting my credit which I do not want in case I need to either buy or rent in the future. As of right now, I have no cash, no credit cards and I need to ask him for money (he is also physically, verbally and emotionally abusive - I guess financially too.)

Do I have any rights? Or did I just hurt myself by getting my own cards which is what I did a few years ago to establish my own credit and because he withheld any financial access from me.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
My husband has decided to not pay my credit cards and let them go into default and he said we will work out a plan with the companies after 6 months or so. Meanwhile, he is continuing to pay his. We have been having marriage difficulties so this is his way of getting back at me. I have been a stay at home mom for 5 years, although I have been working part-time (only about 10 hours a week) recently. He has always controlled the money. Ever since I stayed home, I used the cards to purchase groceries, clothing, and other household expenses and he would make the payments every month.

In the event that we separate or divorce, how does that work with our debt? I know that this is affecting my credit which I do not want in case I need to either buy or rent in the future. As of right now, I have no cash, no credit cards and I need to ask him for money (he is also physically, verbally and emotionally abusive - I guess financially too.)

Do I have any rights? Or did I just hurt myself by getting my own cards which is what I did a few years ago to establish my own credit and because he withheld any financial access from me.
You probably did hurt yourself. I would suggest that you work more so that you can at least keep your credit cards current, and have a little independent cash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">