• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband opening credit cards in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Celestee

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have sent divorce papers to my husband to sign (he lives in another state), however he 'cannot find the time' to take them to a lawyer to discuss and sign. This has been going on for months.
I have since found out that he has opened several joint credit card accounts with my name (I'm not sure how) and his debts are increasing. He is a compulsive spender and knows this but again cannot find the time to attend therapy. He has been in jail previously for 'white collar' crime.
He promises me he will repay the debts. I do not want to bring the police into it and risk him going to jail again as it would ruin his chances of getting a job in future (he is highly qualified) and he only recently became employed after many months of depression and looking for work after he was released from prison.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

annefan

Celestee said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I have sent divorce papers to my husband to sign (he lives in another state), however he 'cannot find the time' to take them to a lawyer to discuss and sign. This has been going on for months.
I have since found out that he has opened several joint credit card accounts with my name (I'm not sure how) and his debts are increasing. He is a compulsive spender and knows this but again cannot find the time to attend therapy. He has been in jail previously for 'white collar' crime.
He promises me he will repay the debts. I do not want to bring the police into it and risk him going to jail again as it would ruin his chances of getting a job in future (he is highly qualified) and he only recently became employed after many months of depression and looking for work after he was released from prison.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestion:
Contact the three major credit reporting agencies and put an immediate fraud alert on your record. Then dispute the credit card accounts that were opened fraudulently. Then report this criminal behavior to the local authorities. Your not doing yourself or him any favors by protecting him from being incarcerated for his crimes.
Of course, you can just let it all go, and assume responsibility for the repayment of the debt he's creating in your name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">