• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband in prison wants spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viglisa6385

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
My husband and iIwere married jan.2008 and seperated sept 2008. (he went to prison where he will stay for 3.5 years due to a criminal act.) He got me into the middle of it as well. I now have a felony and it is almost impossible for me to find work in my line of work because of it. I was traumatized. During our time together we went $50,000 indebt on my good credit. All cards in my name. I have not worked in almost 2 years. We tried to start our own business and failed miserably. I told him I made a terrible mistake. I have not been able to get work since my release from jail in oct. 2008. I requested him to file for divorce from jail since Iam broke and it only costs him $1 in there to file. Well he filed alright. He is now requesting spousal support and claimimg i make $2800 a month. I am furious. I dont know what papers to file or what i need to do to prove I have no job or money. I am now a full time college student on a small grant and live rent free with friends from church until i can get on my feet after loosing everything I owned.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
My husband and iIwere married jan.2008 and seperated sept 2008. (he went to prison where he will stay for 3.5 years due to a criminal act.) He got me into the middle of it as well. I now have a felony and it is almost impossible for me to find work in my line of work because of it. I was traumatized. During our time together we went $50,000 indebt on my good credit. All cards in my name. I have not worked in almost 2 years. We tried to start our own business and failed miserably. I told him I made a terrible mistake. I have not been able to get work since my release from jail in oct. 2008. I requested him to file for divorce from jail since Iam broke and it only costs him $1 in there to file. Well he filed alright. He is now requesting spousal support and claimimg i make $2800 a month. I am furious. I dont know what papers to file or what i need to do to prove I have no job or money. I am now a full time college student on a small grant and live rent free with friends from church until i can get on my feet after loosing everything I owned.
You need to file a response to his petition. Your local courthouse will have a self help center or family law facilitator that will be able to help you file the proper forms.

In your response you need to emphasize that the marriage was short term, and that you have no job or assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">