• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband refusing to sell house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robzmom

I am from Virginia. My question is what options do I have when my husband is refusing to put the house up for sale?? We had agreed to go ahead with the divorce over a year ago and now I am really ready to move on. I tried to go the route of re-financing my house in order to keep it however I could not get enough back to pay him the ungodly $20,000 that he wants. We have only lived in the house for 5 years. Then I have tried to call a real estate agent and go ahead and put it up for sale. But he refuses to sign any papers and now I am stuck. He won't let me leave and I can't afford to with out some money from the house and will not go ahead with the divorce. Says he wants to continue to make my life miserable. Please help me before I go off the deep end!!

C

carebearsmom

WOW! Sticky situation. Worst case scenerio, it will go to court as a contested divorce and the judge will decide what will happen. Can you offer him the house and have him pay YOU? That may also be an option. Good luck! If you filed for your divorce a year ago, it should be ready to go to court anyway - let the judge make that call - then whatever he says is final!

R

robzmom

I might not have been too clear. We are still living in the house together. There is no paperwork filed yet to get the divorce moving forward. He is refusing to let me buy the house, refusing to sell the house, and there is no way he can afford the house on his own. He pays child support every month and there is no way he could make the payments!

C

carebearsmom

Best suggestion, then - talk to your lawyer. Sadly, you may be stuck there until it can go to court and have a judge TELL him to sell the house. Ideally, it would be great if you could get a loan or help from a friend to move out and let him see how hard it is to make his bills without you. Then maybe he would be willing to sell. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">