• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband is refusing to be served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlm3010

What is the name of your state? NY

I am going through a "do-it-yourself" divorce and need some advise. I thought that my husband and I agreed that the divorce was the best thing. He is refusing to be served his divorce papers and I can not proceed. The police have attempted several times and he will not open the door. Does anyone know what I need to do next?

LdiJ

tlm3010 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I am going through a "do-it-yourself" divorce and need some advise. I thought that my husband and I agreed that the divorce was the best thing. He is refusing to be served his divorce papers and I can not proceed. The police have attempted several times and he will not open the door. Does anyone know what I need to do next?
Have you tried to talk to him to find out what his problem is? If that doesn't work then you are going to have to get an attorney. There are ways to make it happen but if he won't accept service you really need an attorney.

S

seniorjudge

Three suggestions (AFTER you learn the rules in your jurisdiction):

Service by mail

Service by publication

or

Service by process server you hire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">