• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband threatening to commit me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r3divory

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. I left my verbally borderline physically abusive husband about a week and a half ago. I got a call from him today stating that if he doesn't see that I have gotten a job and started taking the medications that my therapist prescribed within 3 months he was going to file commitment papers. I'm staying with a couple friend of mine and anytime I'm with them I do not need any medication. My therapist even agreed that my whole problem was my husband and the abuse he has put me through. My husband does not want our child and has stated this several times to several people, but in order to control me still he is using our son as leverage. He has already had me committed one time. Can he do this even though I am no longer in his house and have witnesses to verify that I am completely normal?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It's kind of hard to 'commit' somebody unless they can be proven to be a danger to themselves or others.

r3divory

Unfortunately he has proof that i have used bad judgement in the past. He has called the police on me several times. I was at whits end and one time did pick up a knife. He states he can use all this against me, but the man drove me to my breaking point. None of the windows in the house open, they are all nailed shut. I have not been allowed to work in the 3 years we were together, and have been 100% dependent upon him. The couple I am staying with understand the situation and know me and that I am not like that unless I have anything to do with him. I finally broke away from him before I do become insane. I just needed to know does he still have control over me now that I am free of him and can live a life that I'm not constantly in fear.

mistoffolees

Unfortunately he has proof that i have used bad judgement in the past. He has called the police on me several times. I was at whits end and one time did pick up a knife. He states he can use all this against me, but the man drove me to my breaking point. None of the windows in the house open, they are all nailed shut. I have not been allowed to work in the 3 years we were together, and have been 100% dependent upon him. The couple I am staying with understand the situation and know me and that I am not like that unless I have anything to do with him. I finally broke away from him before I do become insane. I just needed to know does he still have control over me now that I am free of him and can live a life that I'm not constantly in fear.
Whether any of that is relevant depends on the timing. If you pulled a knife on him and he called the police last week, it could at least help him to get a restraining order. Whether that would be enough to have you committed is a much more complicated question. If it was 2 years ago and he continued to live with you, it's probably not going to help him much.

You state that you were prescribed medicine but you do not take it. That could be an issue. If a physician or psychiatrist has determined that you need a particular medicine to protect your health or rationality and you refuse to take it, that could be used against you.

Part of the issue is that you need to take responsibility for your own life. "I was not allowed to work" is almost never a true statement. You CHOSE not to work. He may have discouraged you from working. He may even have threatened to do something if you didn't work. But he could not prevent you from working.

r3divory

I appreciate the response. The knife issue was several months ago. A restraining order was put on me and I left. He dropped the order in court and wanted me to move back in. I really wanted to make things work for our child, but nothing changed as he promised. There are many more details to this but my main concern was that he couldn't do anything to me now that I'm gone. I have a friend that mediates between us to limit our contact. As far as the medication the disorders that I was having were because of the situation I was in with my husband. When I'm away from him my life is a lot less stressful. I do have a good support system currently which I am great full for. Again thank you for the info. It eases my mind.

anteater

Hmmmm... About one year ago, you were male and divorced.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/received-divorce-no-child-now-ex-saying-there-child-466292.html

r3divory

no I'm female, the male in question is now my husband. the female in question is my new roomate... the one going through the situation. i post these as a first person because it's easier that way than saying this is going on with such and such. I read my post to the person with the question and make sure it is acceptable to them. They don't know where to look so I'm the one that typically does the research. Hope this clarifies for you.

Hmmmm... About one year ago, you were male and divorced.
Good memory or do you tend to research each person posting before answering?

In any case, IF this case is true, commitment depends on multiple factors (my background is health care.) In California, you can be held against your will on a 5150 for up to 72 hrs. by law enforcement and certain psych professionals. That gives the psych professionals enough time to evaluate you and decide your needs. Not taking medications in and of itself is NOT enough to commit you. You have to be a)gravely disabled, b)a danger to self or c) a danger to others AS DETERMINED BY the trained professional issuing the hold.

IF your story is not true, then ..... I'll reserve my thoughts.

In any case: STOP POSTING CONFLICTING INFORMATION AND STORIES ABOUT YOURSELF THAT ARE NOT TRUE. A little confusion or devil's advocate I understand. But complete gender and situational unawareness - you are wasting the time of individuals that are donating their expertize to people that need it.

xylene

Good memory or do you tend to research each person posting before answering?
At least in my case the answer tends to be both.

It is always a good idea to check the post history, especially when a thread is started by someone whose post count suggests it is not their first thread.

For the most part I remember virtually all the case files that I have contributed posts to, as well as the vast majority of the more interesting threads that I read but on which I did not make comments.

Just Blue

no I'm female, the male in question is now my husband. the female in question is my new roomate... the one going through the situation. i post these as a first person because it's easier that way than saying this is going on with such and such. I read my post to the person with the question and make sure it is acceptable to them. They don't know where to look so I'm the one that typically does the research. Hope this clarifies for you.
Is there a reason why the "room-mate" can't post for herself??:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">