• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband wants divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redsprocket

What is the name of your state? Missouri
My husband says he doesn't love me any more, and hasn't for a long time. He just moved us to a new state, I know noone here and do not know my way around. He wants a divorce, even though for the last 6 weeks while he lived here and our children and I were in a different state, he said he couldn't wait for us to be together, how he missed us so much and how our family was going to be so happy and such a great life once we were here. I do NOT want a divorce. I'm still very in love with my husband of 14 years. Does the state of MO. have mediation that you must have or any other kind of counselling ordered before he can divorce me? I will do anything to save my marriage. I just cannot believe he's throwing away 14 years just like that. Please help me save my marriage, my family and my life.

LdiJ

redsprocket said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
My husband says he doesn't love me any more, and hasn't for a long time. He just moved us to a new state, I know noone here and do not know my way around. He wants a divorce, even though for the last 6 weeks while he lived here and our children and I were in a different state, he said he couldn't wait for us to be together, how he missed us so much and how our family was going to be so happy and such a great life once we were here. I do NOT want a divorce. I'm still very in love with my husband of 14 years. Does the state of MO. have mediation that you must have or any other kind of counselling ordered before he can divorce me? I will do anything to save my marriage. I just cannot believe he's throwing away 14 years just like that. Please help me save my marriage, my family and my life.
Let me give you a very important piece of advice.

Right now you are not established as "residents" of your new state. If you would want to return home to your old state in the event of a divorce, it is really imperative that you do that right away. If you stay put long enough that residency is established, you may not be able to move with your kids back to your home state. Which may be extactly what your husband intended by waiting until he moved you out there to "drop the bomb".

I realize that you would like to save your marriage.....but if he is dead set on a divorce then there is nothing that you can do to stop him or slow him down.

redsprocket

Missouri
I know some states have made it mandatory that a couple must seek mediation or counselling before being allowed to file for divorce, is this so for the state of Missouri. I feel that if I do leave and go back to the state we came from, he would push the issue even more so, and there would be no hope for our marriage at all. Also, he said he will pay the rent, and all utility bills for us in the house we are living in right now. We know our lease is only for one year, we were suppose to be buying a house here, so, should I have it arranged that he must pay to move us to another house or buy us a house since we know our time in the current one is limited? Can I even do that? We already had a realtor here in MO working to find us a house to buy.

LdiJ

redsprocket said:
Missouri
I know some states have made it mandatory that a couple must seek mediation or counselling before being allowed to file for divorce, is this so for the state of Missouri. I feel that if I do leave and go back to the state we came from, he would push the issue even more so, and there would be no hope for our marriage at all. Also, he said he will pay the rent, and all utility bills for us in the house we are living in right now. We know our lease is only for one year, we were suppose to be buying a house here, so, should I have it arranged that he must pay to move us to another house or buy us a house since we know our time in the current one is limited? Can I even do that? We already had a realtor here in MO working to find us a house to buy.
I am sorry, but you are incorrect. There is no state that requires a couple to go to mediation or counseling before filing for divorce. Mediation is very common AFTER a divorce case is filed, and counseling may sometimes be ordered in conjunction with issues regarding children...

Hon...you need to go get yourself a consult with an attorney. Otherwise you are going to be coming back here six months from now wondering why you are stuck in a state where you have no family support...and can't afford to live.

Some courts require that divorcing couples go to FACILITATION, but not mediation. I have never heard of it. It doesn't even make sense if you really think about it.

Facilitation is a way of settling the issues out of court and thus not wasting valuable court time on he said/she said stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">