• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband Wont pay property tax and house payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Husband was layed off in Feb 09, his has been receiving unemployement and has 25,000-30,000 in the bank. He is refusing to pay house payment, home owners insurance and his car insurance. ( can I legally get my own car insurance policy and not pay his?) Our agreement while our divorce is pending and we are living in our house together was that he would pay the house payment and I would pay groceries and utilites. Now he is refusing to pay the split expense and house payment. If he doesn't pay it and I can't afford to pay all the bills can I get him out of the house or how should I handle this. He doesn't want to sell the house and he says he is going to buy me out. He must have monies or an option to buy me out somewhere.

LdiJ

Husband was layed off in Feb 09, his has been receiving unemployement and has 25,000-30,000 in the bank. He is refusing to pay house payment, home owners insurance and his car insurance. ( can I legally get my own car insurance policy and not pay his?) Our agreement while our divorce is pending and we are living in our house together was that he would pay the house payment and I would pay groceries and utilites. Now he is refusing to pay the split expense and house payment. If he doesn't pay it and I can't afford to pay all the bills can I get him out of the house or how should I handle this. He doesn't want to sell the house and he says he is going to buy me out. He must have monies or an option to buy me out somewhere.
You might want to point out to him that if he doesn't make the house and property tax payments, that it will tank his credit and therefore make it impossible for him to buy you out. He is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

mistoffolees

Back up. What kind of agreement? Is it a court order or is it simply something the two of you agreed to do?

How is the home titled and whose name is on the mortgage?

Your other question is easier - you can't get him out without asking the court for temporary possession of the house - and you're probably not going to get that if you can't afford it.

The two of you really need some help from someone who can look at the finances.

You have a house that you can't afford alone. Your husband is laid off and receiving unemployment compensation (which will presumably be running out soon). Why the heck isn't the house on the market?

Sokols

His playing games with me. one minute his mother and he are buying me out the next minute he wants to sell. Both of us are on title to the house. He originally was on title with his mother and father 2 months before we were married. 17 years ago the parents quit claimed their share of the house to me. I have a lawyer who hasn't been much help. We have been separated and living in the house together since jan 09. We haven't even gotten to the division of property or a court date. My lawyer gets angry with me when I call or email asking questions, but I don't really get any good feedback from her.
Another question I have, since he is unemployed I went ahead and added him to my medical insurance under diress. Can I legally remove him from my works policy with reinrollment coming up or am I legally responsible for is medical insurance?

mistoffolees

His playing games with me. one minute his mother and he are buying me out the next minute he wants to sell. Both of us are on title to the house. He originally was on title with his mother and father 2 months before we were married. 17 years ago the parents quit claimed their share of the house to me. I have a lawyer who hasn't been much help. We have been separated and living in the house together since jan 09. We haven't even gotten to the division of property or a court date. My lawyer gets angry with me when I call or email asking questions, but I don't really get any good feedback from her.
Another question I have, since he is unemployed I went ahead and added him to my medical insurance under diress. Can I legally remove him from my works policy with reinrollment coming up or am I legally responsible for is medical insurance?
Don't take him off your policy. If you do, you could be liable for his medical expenses if he gets sick (or, at the very least, 1/2 of them).

Bottom line is that you do NOT appear to have a court ordered agreement for him to pay anything. There's no way you can force him to pay anything - it's both of your responsibilities. And you can't kick him out of the house without a court order, either.

Sokols

Can a Court date in Los Angeles really take 2 years to get?

Divorce pending. Was told it could be 2 years to get a divorce court date in Los Angeles, Can this be true?. Currently still living in the house. If we can't afford the house and we both agree to sell it, can we part ways even when no property settlements have taken place. Husband is not looking for a job after loosing his high paying position just after I served him papers in the hopes that I will have to pay him support. Once the house is sold will I have to support him while the divorce is pending? He is hiding $ assets

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">