• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am disabled and want a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skinny pup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
My husband and I have been married for 20 years. We both worked, bought a house ( land was given to us). In 2003, I became disabled. Took me 3 yrs to get disability - still on it. Husband has nothing to do with me and we have not slept together in over 8 years. All we do is share a house. I cannot afford a lawyer and I do not know VA law - am I entitled to alimony? I am on his medical insurance + my Medicare. When I was working, my money helped pay the bills. Now, with limited funds, I pay the phone bill and some groceries and my doctor bills - that is all I can afford. I am taking classes at a community college but don't know if I will ever be able to work again (permanent nerve damage). We spend no time together, hardly any communication, and NO sex for 8 years.
What are my options?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
My husband and I have been married for 20 years. We both worked, bought a house ( land was given to us). In 2003, I became disabled. Took me 3 yrs to get disability - still on it. Husband has nothing to do with me and we have not slept together in over 8 years. All we do is share a house. I cannot afford a lawyer and I do not know VA law - am I entitled to alimony? I am on his medical insurance + my Medicare. When I was working, my money helped pay the bills. Now, with limited funds, I pay the phone bill and some groceries and my doctor bills - that is all I can afford. I am taking classes at a community college but don't know if I will ever be able to work again (permanent nerve damage). We spend no time together, hardly any communication, and NO sex for 8 years.
What are my options?
You may or may not get alimony. It is NOT a guarantee or entitlement. You have not stated how much earns, what other property exists, what savings/retirement exists or anything else. You can get a divorce or not. Those are your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">