• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am still listed 5 years later in phone book of house ex defaulted on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CuriousJewel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Called AT&T today, as 5 years later My name, first and last is still listed in the phone book at the address with number we used to have. i signed over to my ex wife in 04. Due to confidentiality the person i spoke to could only say that there was no account for the number under AT&T in my name. Another phone carrier has me listed with that number, basically. She told me phone rules allow you to be billed at another address and name than the one in the phone book. Any ideas how I coud find out who the land line carrier is of that number. She said it could be anyone including satalite. I realize the ex wife can use my last name, but my first as well ?thanks so much for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is your name so unique that NOBODY else in the country has it?

If not, what does it matter?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Called AT&T today, as 5 years later My name, first and last is still listed in the phone book at the address with number we used to have. i signed over to my ex wife in 04. Due to confidentiality the person i spoke to could only say that there was no account for the number under AT&T in my name. Another phone carrier has me listed with that number, basically. She told me phone rules allow you to be billed at another address and name than the one in the phone book. Any ideas how I coud find out who the land line carrier is of that number. She said it could be anyone including satalite. I realize the ex wife can use my last name, but my first as well ?thanks so much for your time.
Some women are uncomfortable with having people know that there's a woman living there alone. My ex still has my voice on her answering machine, for example.

Does it really matter all that much?

CuriousJewel

ha ha

sorry shoulda mentioned my last name is not common at all, long italian name, and what would be the odds of someone moving in my old house having the same name and number? thanks i am a googler too. And yes it is an issue if someone is using my name to obtain credit, utilities etc. LIKE the ex wife with the same name, who pulled close to $100,000 on refinance and defaulted. did another search, seems my name is listed under another number in the area as well. thanks for the assumption of my inteligence, its appreciated:D but hey its free advice right?

mistoffolees

If you're worried about someone using your identity, then get a copy of your credit report. If they're using your identity to get phone service, it would show up there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
sorry shoulda mentioned my last name is not common at all, long italian name, and what would be the odds of someone moving in my old house having the same name and number? thanks i am a googler too. And yes it is an issue if someone is using my name to obtain credit, utilities etc. LIKE the ex wife with the same name, who pulled close to $100,000 on refinance and defaulted. did another search, seems my name is listed under another number in the area as well. thanks for the assumption of my inteligence, its appreciated:D but hey its free advice right?
Nobody made any assumptions about your intelligence (prior to this post)

LdiJ

If you're worried about someone using your identity, then get a copy of your credit report. If they're using your identity to get phone service, it would show up there.
I agree...if you feel that identity theft is an issue, then that is absolutely your first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">