• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am Witness in divorce case. Any rights? (MA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mario m

(Massachucetts) I was summoned to be a witness in a divorce case (probate and family court). What would happen if I did not show up and testify? Do I have to testify even though It would incriminate me? It involved an affair between my wife and the defendant and things got very ugly when affair was discovered. It was 5 years ago and would not like to relive that unpleasant period.

Mario

HomeGuru

mario m said:
(Massachucetts) I was summoned to be a witness in a divorce case (probate and family court). What would happen if I did not show up and testify? Do I have to testify even though It would incriminate me? It involved an affair between my wife and the defendant and things got very ugly when affair was discovered. It was 5 years ago and would not like to relive that unpleasant period.

Mario
**A: if you failed to show, the judge would issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Be a man, face up and tell the truth.

mario m

home guru thanks!

But it's not about being a man as much as why should I (innocent victim) have to testify about something so long ago unless I would really be in trouble it. I would have to take time off from work to travel and having to tell my now older children about where I am going. Also I think it may be some form of harrassment on the defenants part to summons me. Why else would he ever want to see me again. My testimony would only hurt him. He has admitted to adultry?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">