• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I dont know what to do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EndOfMyRope

I have been going thru a divorce for a year now. My wife lied to me , cheated on me, filed for divorce on my birthday and took our daughter and moved out. I live in a no fault state(Indiana) so none of that really matters.

All of our joint credit cards were paid off. We have a house that is worth 50,000$ We still owe 41,000$ on the house and 8,000$ on a second mortgage so the house is pretty much worthless as an asset in this case. It would not be profitable to sell the house so I chose to keep it since she left and it is the only home I have.

The big hold up in this case is her debts. She has spent 12,000$ on collectables over the years that is in her name only. They insisted I take on half of this debt but I could not get a loan for this amount. I offered them half of my pension instead which is of equal amount to the amount they wanted but they refused it over and over. All they want from me is cash that I dont have.

I have lost my vehicle, my daughter and my wife but this does not stop them. I have no money left and am grasping at straws.
I have perfect credit but I dont have the collateral to get a loan of this amount.

Angry that I wont agree to their terms they now want me to pay all the debt plus all attorneys fees. 14,000$. Every time they say they are willing to settle we cancel the hearing and meet and they change thier minds and walk out. The trial has been cancelled 4 times now. I want to go to court and take my chances with the judge since I have nothing left to lose but my lawyer does not seem to want to listen to me. It is too late and I do not have the money to get another lawyer as it seems he doesnt have my best interests at heart.

I dont know what to do next, if you have any advice I would appreciate it, thanks. Indiana

D

dorenephilpot

Eeeck. Sounds like a nightmare.

Get your divorce finalized, then file bankruptcy on anything you can.

You cannot get out of anything classified as child support or maintenance, but any credit cards, reimbursement to your ex for these dolls, attorney fees that you are ordered to pay, you can get discharged.

If you're upside down on the home, you can let it go, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">