• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't quite understand this.... (dates)... PLEASE READ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g33k

What is the name of your state? Kansas

As I've posted before, I'm getting divorced. My husband filled out the papers and said he would take care of the expenses since he has more money than me.

I realized after I received the papers on Nov 10th that I needed a lawyer. I have made an appointment to talk to a lawyer on Nov 29th.

My papers are dated Nov 4th. There is a stamp on them that says received at the sheriff office Nov 7th. I received them Nov 10th, as mentioned above.

==
You are hearby notified that an actio has been commenced against you in this Court. You are required to file your answer to the petitio with the Court and to serve a copy upon [husband's attorney name], petition's attorney at [address].

The hearing will be held at [address]:
[room number]
within 20 days after service of summons upon you.

If you fail to do so, judgment by default will be taken against you for the releif demanded in the petition. Any related claim which you may have against the petitioner/plaintiff must be stated as a counterclaim in your answer, or you will thereafter be barred from making such claim in any other action.

(x) If checked, Summons must be served by May ____, 2005 and your return made within 3 days thereafter.
==

Does this mean that I will have to be in court before the 30th, since I received my papers on the 10th? It doesn't say any date or time that I have to be there.

If that is, could I ask the judge for an extension of any sort?

What is that about "May ____ 2005"? Any date in May has already passed.

LdiJ

g33k said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

As I've posted before, I'm getting divorced. My husband filled out the papers and said he would take care of the expenses since he has more money than me.

I realized after I received the papers on Nov 10th that I needed a lawyer. I have made an appointment to talk to a lawyer on Nov 29th.

My papers are dated Nov 4th. There is a stamp on them that says received at the sheriff office Nov 7th. I received them Nov 10th, as mentioned above.

==
You are hearby notified that an actio has been commenced against you in this Court. You are required to file your answer to the petitio with the Court and to serve a copy upon [husband's attorney name], petition's attorney at [address].

The hearing will be held at [address]:
[room number]
within 20 days after service of summons upon you.

If you fail to do so, judgment by default will be taken against you for the releif demanded in the petition. Any related claim which you may have against the petitioner/plaintiff must be stated as a counterclaim in your answer, or you will thereafter be barred from making such claim in any other action.

(x) If checked, Summons must be served by May ____, 2005 and your return made within 3 days thereafter.
==

Does this mean that I will have to be in court before the 30th, since I received my papers on the 10th? It doesn't say any date or time that I have to be there.

If that is, could I ask the judge for an extension of any sort?

What is that about "May ____ 2005"? Any date in May has already passed.
What it means is that you have to respond within 20 days. What you need to find out for certain is if those are 20 business days or 20 actual days. If its 20 actual days then you are pushing the envelope if you are not seeing the attorney until the 29th. If its 20 business days you are fine.

If its 20 actual days, then you really need to respond to the paperwork yourself. (written response), any response you make has to be sent to the court and to his attorney. Your response can be a request for extra time to retain an attorney.

g33k

How do I tell if it is business days or actual days? It's really inconvient timing with Thanksgiving. :(

What do I write? Just a "to whom it may concern" letter that says I want an extension?

Thank you.

LdiJ

g33k said:
How do I tell if it is business days or actual days? It's really inconvient timing with Thanksgiving. :(

What do I write? Just a "to whom it may concern" letter that says I want an extension?

Thank you.
You find out by calling the court clerk and asking. The court clerk may also be able to provide you with a form to fill out for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">