• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i have a friend who is about to go through a divorce her husband filed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpfulfriend

What is the name of your state? Texas my friend is about to go through a divorce she has no money to pay for. She has no lawyer what should she do to get herself prepared until she gets a lawyer? They have kids betweeen the ages of 15-7years old. Do the kids have a choice of who they want to be with? Can she make her husband pay for a lawyer for herself? What type of financial help can she get to get her through this aweful time?

Last edited:

djohnson

Financial help will probably have to come from friends and family. He is not required to provide her with an attorney. She can either get one or not, it is not mandatory, but would advise her to get one. The kids can't just pick where they want to live unless both parents allow that, agree to it, and put in the order. Will he fight for custody? Child support should be ordered and depending on her personal situation possibly alimony.

V

VeeGee

When I was going through a divorce ( my ex filed). I couldn't afford a lawyer either...so I simply told him if he wanted the divorce HE would have to pay for my lawyer....and he did!

B

Boxcarbill

helpfulfriend said:
What is the name of your state? Texas my friend is about to go through a divorce she has no money to pay for. She has no lawyer what should she do to get herself prepared until she gets a lawyer? They have kids betweeen the ages of 15-7years old. Do the kids have a choice of who they want to be with? Can she make her husband pay for a lawyer for herself? What type of financial help can she get to get her through this aweful time?
If you can financially qualify as an indigent, then Legal Aid or another legal aid service--like West Texas Legal Services will help her. But she does have to be an indigent as opposed to someone who just doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer. She can ask in her pleadings that she be awarded attorney fees and court cost but my own experiences is that judges really do that. Not trying to be snide but being very realistic: If she doesn't already have a job, she definitely needs to get one and the sooner the better. Employment has two benefits: The first is financial and the second is it will keep her mind busy with something other than divorce. Her friends and family will last a lot longer if she can find something to discuss besides her husband and the divorce.

S

srleger

I was in the same situation as your friend, and I live in Texas as well. I was unable to afford legal representation and I was taken to the cleaners. If children are involved she needs to immediately file for child support through the state, you can do this through the Child Welfare office, no charge. The moment they cease living as husband and wife she is entitled to support. This I found out after being "separated" for two years and not receiving anything from the father. She is also entitled to half of his retirement that he acquired during the marriage. If there is property involved she is entitle to half, and she should go and have a lien placed against her half so that he can't sell the property out from under her. This I am going through now. Good luck to her she will need it if she goes through this without legal help.

VeronicaGia

srleger said:
I was in the same situation as your friend, and I live in Texas as well. I was unable to afford legal representation and I was taken to the cleaners. If children are involved she needs to immediately file for child support through the state, you can do this through the Child Welfare office, no charge. The moment they cease living as husband and wife she is entitled to support.

**You say this presuming she will in fact get temporary and permanent custody. If he gets tempory custody, it his he who will be due support, not she.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">