• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i have questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryan18

What is the name of your state? california

My mom and step dad are getting divorced. My family includes me, my mom, my sister, and my step dad. They have been married for two and a half years. Before my step dad and my mom got married, he owned two houses. Right now, we rent a house with a lot of his belongings in it even though my mom got rid of hers. My step dad makes about $3,500 - $4,000 a month. My mom makes only about $1,500 - $1,800 a month. Should they get divorced, she will not be able to pay for the rent ($950 a month) and all the other bills.

A source told my mom that the State can take money out of step dad's paycheck to help my mom, my sister, and myself. I need to know if this is true. My mom told this story to my step dad, and he said that it was not true. He also said he went and talked to someone about all this, and they stated, "my mom has nothing coming even though she makes some money."

Before they got married, my mom was supporting me and my sister the same as now, paying $950 a month and all the bills, with some money to spare. But since my mom had low income, the State helped her pay for the rent. However, when they got married, the State stopped helping to pay for the rent. In addition, during the first year of their marriage, only my mom worked (my step dad was on workman's comp).

Currently, the main items in our possession are 2 houses, 1 car, 1 truck, 1 van, 1 boat, and the house we are renting. On the 2 houses, there is still a monthly mortgage of about $2,000.

My step dad currently makes most of the money and pays for most of the bills. But my mom still helps. The problem is that once they get divorced, she cannot simply go back to the status quo ante where the State used to help paying the rent.

plz reply to this message. i would like to hear wat u guys know about the laws and stuff.

Last edited:

bryan18

my mom has credit cards in her name that owe money. but they were use to pay bills. right now 10/06/07 they r not divorced yet..

does he have to help pay them off?? since he makes most of the money?

Bruno

just sum info re ur 2nd question...

i believe credit card debts r communal debt. ur both parents r responsible for that. (cc debts during their marriage i mean not prior...) i hope the other guys on this forum reply to ur 1st question...they know hella lot. :D

Last edited:

fairisfair

:D
i believe credit card debts r communal debt. ur both parents r responsible for that. (cc debts during their marriage i mean not prior...) i hope the other guys on this forum reply to ur 1st question...they know hella lot. :D
you got that rite, rit, whatever. . . ;)

Bruno

let's help this dude, he's cool...

My translation (all that time spent on MySpace is paying off):

My mom and step dad are getting divorced. My family includes me, my mom, my sister, and my step dad. They have been married for two and a half years. Before my step dad and my mom got married, he owned two houses. Right now, we rent a house with a lot of his belongings in it even though my mom got rid of hers. My step dad makes about $3,500 - $4,000 a month. My mom makes only about $1,500 - $1,800 a month. Should they get divorced, she will not be able to pay for the rent ($950 a month) and all the other bills.

A source told my mom that the State can take money out of step dad's paycheck to help my mom, my sister, and myself. I need to know if this is true. My mom told this story to my step dad, and he said that it was not true. He also said he went and talked to someone about all this, and they stated, "my mom has nothing coming even though she makes some money." (Translator: Needs clarification.)

Before they got married, my mom was supporting me and my sister the same as now, paying $950 a month and all the bills, with some money to spare. But since my mom had low income, the State helped her pay for the rent. However, when they got married, the State stopped helping to pay for the rent. In addition, during the first year of their marriage, only my mom worked (my step dad was on workman's comp).

Currently, the main items in our possession are 2 houses, 1 car, 1 truck, 1 van, 1 boat, and the house we are renting. On the 2 houses, there is still a monthly mortgage of about $2,000.

My step dad currently makes most of the money and pays for most of the bills. But my mom still helps. The problem is that once they get divorced, she cannot simply go back to the status quo ante where the State used to help paying the rent.

Please reply to my predicament. Your legal advice is highly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your mother gets half of the marital property and half of the marital debt. She will NOT however get one of the houses -- she would be entitled to half of the equity that accrued during the marriage -- not much. As for the vehicles -- when were they purchased? What about the boat? Whose name are they in?
Your stepdad will not have his paycheck garnished to support you and your sister -- that is your FATHER'S job. Not this legal stranger's job. Why is your mother not receiving child support from YOUR FATHER. Nor will she qualify for alimony because it has been such a short term marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">