• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I haven't been served yet, can I take my husband's truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eekamouse

Haven't been served yet? Served dinner? Served with divorce papers? A little more information might be helpful.

Proserpina

If you take HIS truck without permission, you're in trouble.

If you take the truck after a court has awarded you said truck, you should be okay. I say "should", because sometimes the courts put in those little clause thingies when those little clause thingies actually aren't enforceable.

If you take YOUR truck, I have the feeling you wouldn't be here asking so...

Whose truck is it anyway?

DeFoe

truck

Divorce papers not dinner,sorry. He put bleach in my gas tank and ruined the motor before he left so I have no transportation. I was told I couldn't do anything because we r married. So I figure the same would apply if I used his truck for transportation until the divorce goes to court.

DeFoe

truck

I had my car before we married. He bought his truck after we were married. He had the finance company put his name only on the paperwork, but im on the insurance. The car is in my name only.

justalayman

Divorce papers not dinner,sorry. He put bleach in my gas tank and ruined the motor before he left so I have no transportation. I was told I couldn't do anything because we r married. So I figure the same would apply if I used his truck for transportation until the divorce goes to court.
the rules change after a divorce filing.

Proserpina

I had my car before we married. He bought his truck after we were married. He had the finance company put his name only on the paperwork, but im on the insurance. The car is in my name only.

Tit for tat isn't going to help you.

And you didn't make any sort of police report, did you? And I'm assuming that neither of you managed to look at the MythBusters on this one, did you?

Oh, one more question. Either of you ever live in California?

DeFoe

truck

Tit for tat isn't going to help you.

And you didn't make any sort of police report, did you? And I'm assuming that neither of you managed to look at the MythBusters on this one, did you?

Oh, one more question. Either of you ever live in California?
I understand tit for tat isn't going to help, but having transportation will. No police report was made because I was told I couldn't do anything because we were married. We both live in Texas. Thank u for ur reply.

Proserpina

I understand tit for tat isn't going to help, but having transportation will. No police report was made because I was told I couldn't do anything because we were married. We both live in Texas. Thank u for ur reply.

If that's what they told you, they're either incredibly overworked or incredibly clueless. Of course it matters - would they tell you the same if he cut your brakeline and you were severely injured? No, no they wouldn't.

Okay, now that mini-rant is over, here's the deal.

It sucks that you don't have transport. But the divorce has been filed and that generally creates a type of injunction preventing either of you from taking/removing/otherwise divvying up the marital assets before the court has spoken. This generally goes as far as bank accounts, too.

But you need to pick one - you're either aware of the divorce filing or you're not. It's not both.

justalayman

Even if I haven't been notified that it's been filed? Thank u for ur reply.
You may not have been served but you obviously know it has been filed.

If you do not live with him, you don't get to use the "but we share everything" argument either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">