• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just want my stuff :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g33k

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I'm getting divorced and haven't lived with my husband for about a year now. Originally it was going to be a trial seperation, so I didn't get my stuff at the time I left. (Now it's for sure we're getting a divorce, he already filed to papers, but I haven't been served them yet.)

I want to get my stuff. He says "his lawyer warned him against letting me go through stuff". He wanted a list of things I wanted and that's all. I emailed him a list but made sure it said "this is only what I can think of right now, I need to go through things to make sure I have everything." Last Thursday, he said I could come over on Friday afternoon and get my stuff, but then that morning he sent me an email and said he wasn't available.

Out of the list I sent him, there were several things he commented on.

a painting he gave me as a gift - he says he likes it and seemed unhappy i asked for it (it's a painting of ballerinas, i danced ballet for 17 years, so i love it. not to mention it was a gift to me.)

pots and pans - we have 2 sets, i told him to keep one set, but I wanted to set my mom bought.

dishes - we both paid for dishes before we got married, i paid for about 60%-75% of them.

He wants to keep all the pots/pans and the dishes and give me like $150. I don't want that. I told him I'd pay the initial cost of 1/2 the dishes if I could have them, but I definately wanted my painting and the pots/pans my mother gave us.

How can I get my stuff? Both what is listed above and check the house to make sure I have everything of mine.

Also, we have a joint savings account. Am I entitled to half of what was there when I left? (That's where all my student loan money went into that I didn't use right away.)

Last edited:

g33k

Also, my car has both names on it, and the loan is in both our names, with my father-in-law as a cosigner. Will this cause problems for me?

g33k

I will have to check the car title (I'm at work right now so I don't have access to it). I beleive it says "MyName and/or HisName".

I don't have an attorney. We agreed to file a no-fault divorce, but I don't know WHAT he's doing right now. At first, he said he would take care of it since his aunt used to be attorney. I kept asking him for progress for like 2 months, and he never knew. He finally just hired someone to do it.

Also, what do I do if he files differently than no-fault? (I left him because he repeatedly was unfaithful.)

BelizeBreeze

g33k said:
I will have to check the car title (I'm at work right now so I don't have access to it). I beleive it says "MyName and/or HisName".

I don't have an attorney. We agreed to file a no-fault divorce, but I don't know WHAT he's doing right now. At first, he said he would take care of it since his aunt used to be attorney. I kept asking him for progress for like 2 months, and he never knew. He finally just hired someone to do it.

Also, what do I do if he files differently than no-fault? (I left him because he repeatedly was unfaithful.)
Get an attorney THEN get the car title.

g33k

Can legal aid help with that? I only work part time and go to college full time, so I don't have much money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">