• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I know nothing about a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megan 75

What is the name of your state? maine

My husband fell back in love with an ex-girlfriend he had 17 years
ago. It's been an up and down since I found out. All this time is was just an internet love affair, but she will or already moved here to this area. So far I could save our marriage, but I fear that he will soon change his mind.
We got three kids and I'm only a cna, which means I don't have much income. I will say no to a divorce. How long will it take him to get a divorce. Does he have to pay for me and the kids. How are his chance for getting the kids. And who will pay for lawyers.

I am also not an american. divorce wont change my status, but could I expience some set back because of that?

So I'm totaaly clueless what to exspect.

He is in the military and will pcs next year. I hope with us all.

thank you for any information.

megan 75:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Clues that your husband wants a divorce - -

NUMBER 10: He arranges Hors d'oeuvres so they subliminally spell "Divorce Me."

NUMBER 9: He's always whining about the chicken bones and empty soda cans in the bed.

NUMBER 8: The liquor and pills finally wore off.

NUMBER 7 Every time you have sex, he needs a new hip.

NUMBER 6: He still hasn't recovered from the horror of seeing you naked.

NUMBER 5: He repeatedly insists that your marriage certificate is for external use only.

NUMBER 4: During sex, he hates it when you say, "sniff this."

NUMBER 3: Each year, your children give a "World's Greatest Mom" mug to the maillady.

NUMBER 2: Your children are always asking their father, "she's really the best you could do?"

AND, the NUMBER ONE Clue That Your Husband Wants a Divorce - -

His three dogs are named "We," "Hate" and "Mom"

Last edited:
I

Illinois Dad

Here is the "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Divorce In Maine But Were Afraid To Ask" rundown. Read this...go to Divorcnet.com and click on Maine...put the words "Maine divorce law" into a search engine...there are a multitude of ways to get info. As to his chances for custody, there are way to many variables involved in that to answer it here. Find a local attorney who will give you a free or low cost consultation and he or she will be able to more intelligently answer that question. Good Luck...Statutory Reference to Maine Revised Statutes Annotated:

Residence: tit. 19-A, § 901

Divorce: tit. 19-A, § 902

Property Division: tit. 19-A, § 953

Alimony: tit. 19-A, § 951

Custody: tit. 19-A, § 1653

Visitation: tit. 19-A, § 1653

Child Support: tit. 19-A, § 2001-2010

Residence:

The complainant must live in the jurisdiction for six months prior to filing the complaint.

Grounds:

(1) irreconcilable marital differences; (2) adultery; (3) impotence; (4) extreme cruelty; (5) desertion for three years; (6) gross and confirmed habits of intoxication; (7) nonsupport; (8) cruel and abusive treatment; (9) mental illness requiring confinement for at least seven consecutive years.

Distribution of Property:

Equitable distribution of property based on dual classification of property.

Marital property means all property acquired by either spouse during the marriage, except (1) property acquired by gift, bequest, devise or descent; (2) property acquired in exchange for pre-marital property or in exchange for property acquired by gift, bequest, devise or descent; (3) property acquired after decree of legal separation; (4) property excluded by valid agreement of the parties; (5) increase in value of property acquired prior to the marriage.

The court shall divide the marital property after considering (1) the contribution of reach spouse to the acquisition of marital property, including homemaker efforts; (2) the value of each spouse's separate property; (3) the economic circumstances of each spouse.

Alimony/Spousal Support:

The court may award periodic or lump sum alimony. The court may also award non-modifiable alimony. The court shall consider: (1) the length of the marriage; (2) the parties' ability to pay; (3) the parties' ages; (4) the parties' employment history and earning potential; (5) the parties' education and training; (6) the parties' retirement and health insurance benefits; (7) tax consequences of property division; (8) parties' health and disabilities; (9) tax consequences of alimony award; (10) contributions as homemaker; (11) parties' contribution to education of other; (12) economic misconduct; (13) standard of living during the marriage; (14) any other factor deemed appropriate.

Child Custody/Visitation:

When the parties have agreed to shared parental rights and responsibilities, the court shall make such an award absent substantial evidence that it should not be ordered.

In making an award of parental rights and responsibilities, the court shall apply the best interests of the child standard, considering 15 listed factors.

The court may not apply a preference for one parent over the other on account of either parent's gender or the child's age and gender.

The court may order third party visitation.

Child Support:

Child Support Guidelines are statutory. They are based on the Income Shares Model, based on gross income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">