• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lost a TRO relating to custody and lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkensei

******REVISED******

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I just went to a TRO hearing and defended myself by getting legal advice through Legal Aide. In the event of this I pretty much got the worst possible outcome. When I was representing myself in court, I didn't know what I could say and what I couldn't say; which agitated the judge. She limited me on my responses and it seems like my statements just got written off. One of the things stated on my paper, I was asked a few different ways from my ex's attorney. My answer was No the first time and I said didn't quite understand the second time. The second time I said I don't know.

The accuser reported me of this as follows:

"After an argument, respondent grabbed/yanked children off bed, and I told him to stop/wait and respondent threatened to shoot me with a gun." Nov 1 2014

At this time I offered the most truthful answer I could give.

"I woke her up when I got home and confronted her about her fooling around, during that time my daughter woke up. I didn't want to argue in front of my daughter, because she was still sleepy; so I moved her to the couch. At which time she told me "Stop, don't touch her" and I told her "I don't want to argue in front of her". I said that my ex at that time always puts up a wall in our arguments, she will barrier herself with my kids or a blanket and just go silent. When we continued the argument after I carried my daughter to the couch, we were having a heated debate. She denied doing anything and asked why I was reading those text message/pictures. I responded likewise "Its like your trying to get me to act or something, its like you want me to shoot you and go after the guy I dunno. How could you do this to us after 10 yrs?" During this time in November she didn't call any cops during this altercation, because what I said didn't seem to bother her to much. In fact she tried to comfort and console me about it. We continued to argue about this till Jan/Feb where we decided to move on from this. Then the last week before June 9th I found a massage ticket from the other guy with dirty messages. We had an argument again and our breakup happened on the 9th. During this whole time since November she could of called the cops on me if she felt threatened. But she had no complaints on calling the cops later on June 9th 2015 when we argued. I stopped arguing during that argument seeing what it was doing to my kids and sat outside on the curb to wait for the cops. This was to show that I tried to take a better approach to this. My son was hiding under clothes, because he was scared, and it literally broke my heart when I seen that. I had no more fight in me and I didn't want to continue. Before all of this I personally apologized about the statement I had made to her and her mom, because I felt guilty. It was something that just rolled off my tongue without thinking of the ramifications of so. I even coached her from November to June and told her, "If she had no more trust in me and think I was going to hurt her, you should go move into your moms house and pursue your own en devours." and she responded "I just have to believe that you love me enough not to hurt me." Which I had no intentions of ever hurting her in the first place. Every other incident she would bring up in court after this main one which they locked on, she claimed to be scared of me. Alot of them she was asked if I was yelling or swearing and she would say No. Its because I don't try to argue with violence, because of the kids. From the beginning of our 10 yrs together, she claimed she was scared to defy me and she did what I said to console. I couldn't help but break down after hearing that, considering I'm kind of a pacifist, and she never was afraid to up and leave me. Which she did on a couple of occasions, she left me high and dry more then once. There was only 1 other time she could ever bring up that I physically grabbed her wrist back in 2004 this wasn't reported to police either and I explained I was protecting myself because she was cracking me over the head with a metal can. We were arguing in the car, she jumped out of the car when I was stopped at a light, she was 4/5 months pregnant, and I didn't want her to lose the baby. So I went after her and I kept pleading with her to stop and I'll take her anywhere she wants to go. That was before she started cracking me with her fists, kicking, and even with that metal can. 1 week later after all this died down, she told me I hurt her wrist and she started wearing a wrist band. I apologized again and I told her are you sure it wasn't from work. Anyways she got checked and they found no fractures or microfractures. This was all undocumented and just accounts.

Now I'm kind of stuck with the full TRO sentencing and I was wondering if any is there anyway to turn this. 1 yr away from her and my 2 kids and I can only visit them at PACT center. Which is crappy, because I was the primary caretaker of the children. I would cook, clean, take them to school, change them, take them out, etc. My ex at that time really didn't do anything for them and really neglected caring for them. If I hired an attorney, or is it worth turning? Am I just screwed, I know I even think it sounds bleak when looking at it. I just feel defeated in every way, just wanted to know if I'm just looking for hope when there is none.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your written statement is scary. It probably went further towards the outcome of your case than you realize...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I didn't understand half of that, and the other half made me think you REALLY need an attorney.

Silverplum

You, dkensei, must never, ever speak to the police (or to anyone, really) without an attorney doing your speaking FOR you. Not even to a grocery clerk. Find a way to hire an attorney to follow you around.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I just went to a case TRO hearing and defended myself by getting legal advice through Legal Aide. In the event of this I pretty much got the worst possible outcome. When I was representing myself in court, I didn't know what I could say and what I couldn't say; which agitated the judge. She limited me on my responses and it seems like my statements just got written off. One of the things stated on my paper, I was asked a few different ways from my ex's attorney. My answer was No the first time and I said didn't quite understand the second time. The second time I said I don't know.

The accuser reported me of this as follows:

"After an argument, respondent grabbed/yanked children off bed, and I told him to stop/wait and respondent threatened to shoot me with a gun." Nov 1 2014

At this time I offered the most truthful answer I could give.

"I woke her up when I got home and confronted her about "said problem" during that time my daughter woke up, I didn't want to argue in front of my daughter, so I moved her to the bed. At which time she told me "Stop, don't touch her" and told her "I don't want to argue in front of her". I said that my ex at that time always puts up a wall in our arguments, she will barrier herself with my kids or a blanket and just go silent. When we continued the argument after I moved my daughter, we were having a heated argument. She denied doing anything and asked why I was reading a text message. I responded "Its like your trying to get me to act or something, its like you want me to shoot you and go after the guy I dunno. How could this to us after 10 yrs?" During this time in November she didn't call any cops during this altercation, because what I said didn't seem to bother her to much; but she had no complaints of calling the cops later on June 9th 2015. All that time went by and every other altercation we had she would bring this up to me. I personally apologized about the statement I made to her and her mom, I was something that just rolled off my tongue without thinking of the ramifications. I even coached her during this period and told her, "If she had no more trust in me and think I was going to hurt her, you should go move into your moms house and pursue your own en devours." and she responded "I just have to believe that you love me enough not to hurt me." Which I had no intentions of ever hurting her in the first place. Every other incident she would bring up after this, from the beginning of our 10 yrs together, she claimed she was scared to defy me. I couldn't help but break down after hearing that, considering I'm kind of a pacifist, and she never was afraid to up and leave me. There was only 1 other time she could ever bring up that I physically grabbed her wrist back in 2004 this wasn't reported to police either and I explained I was protecting myself because she was cracking me over the head with a metal can.

Now I'm kind of stuck with the full TRO sentencing and I was wondering if any is there anyway to turn this. 1 yr away from her and my 2 kids and I can only visit them at PACT center. Which is crappy, because I was the primary caretaker of the children. I would cook, clean, take them to school, change them, take them out, etc. My ex at that time really didn't do anything for them and really neglected caring for them. If I hired an attorney, or is it worth turning? Am I just screwed, I know I even think it sounds bleak when looking at it. I just feel defeated in every way, just wanted to know if I'm just looking for hope when there is none.

dkensei

Sorry, I was just writing quickly and may have made that hard to follow. If I had the money to do so, I would. I really took the back seat in my career for her to pursue her own. God bless my dad on having to bail my ass out of this or I would of literally lost everything. My house, myself, and my faith. I literally became the caretaker for the kids and maintaining the household. So I currently have a part time job with no savings and she has all the savings. I've been finding evidence even till this day of her escapades. I found lots of medical letters of STD testing, condoms in her bags, and also a couple bills for abortions. I don't know if I can use this evidence in court for paternity. I don't know if it would jive with her coming home late all the time from work. I was a very trusting and faithful man. Believe me when I say I'm a good guy and I go to church every Sunday. But finding stuff like this can turn anybody's world upside down.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

Sorry, I was just writing quickly and may have made that hard to follow. If I had the money to do so, I would. I really took the back seat in my career for her to pursue her own. God bless my dad on having to bail my ass out of this or I would of literally lost everything. My house, myself, and my faith. I literally became the caretaker for the kids and maintaining the household. So I currently have a part time job with no savings and she has all the savings. I've been finding evidence even till this day of her escapades. I found lots of medical letters of STD testing, condoms in her bags, and also a couple bills for abortions. I don't know if I can use this evidence in court for paternity. I don't know if it would jive with her coming home late all the time from work. I was a very trusting and faithful man. Believe me when I say I'm a good guy and I go to church every Sunday. But finding stuff like this can turn anybody's world upside down.
Hun? Going to church doesn't make you a good guy.

I'm seeing all sorts of "red flags" from your posting.

dkensei

I know it doesn't make me a good guy, but I've always been hanging back on doing things like this. Its up to your opinion really if you think I'm a good guy or not, I know I am and god knows I am; so I'm okay with that. She had to dig back all the way to the beginning of our relationship when I was young to find stuff, so I dunno what to tell you. I revised my article so its easier to understand, I hope it is.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I know it doesn't make me a good guy, but I've always been hanging back on doing things like this. Its up to your opinion really if you think I'm a good guy or not, I know I am. She had to dig back all the way to the beginning of our relationship when I was young to find stuff, so I dunno what to tell you.
Hire am attorney.:rolleyes:

dkensei

***UPDATE***

I did talk to an attorney and she advised me to get letters and statements from everyone that I know. This will prove I guess I'm a good father and paints her in a bad lime light. Even this I have problems doing, because I really don't like to be spiteful. She told me to ask neighbors, teachers, doctors, etc.

dkensei

Only one thing "helps" in a paternity case: DNA.

Was this woman your wife?
No, we were going to get married. But it never happened. There definitely my kids though, even if one wasn't I would fight till the ends of the earth. Because I raised them and took care of them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, we were going to get married. But it never happened. There definitely my kids though, even if one wasn't I would fight till the ends of the earth. Because I raised them and took care of them.
Then the paternity matter will be decided on DNA. Nothing else.

ETA: Did you sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity for the children?

Last edited:

dkensei

Then the paternity matter will be decided on DNA. Nothing else.

ETA: Did you sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity for the children?
Not yet, in court she said she is in the process of filing the paperwork. So I'm hanging back and collecting my statements and trying to save every dime to hire the attorney. I only have my name with hers on there birth certificates.

Ladyback1

***UPDATE***

I did talk to an attorney and she advised me to get letters and statements from everyone that I know. This will prove I guess I'm a good father and paints her in a bad lime light. Even this I have problems doing, because I really don't like to be spiteful. She told me to ask neighbors, teachers, doctors, etc.
Letters and statements most likely won't be helpful in court proceedings---those people will need to be willing to show up, in person, and answer questions from both sides. Did you HIRE/RETAIN said attorney? You should NOT represent yourself in court...

A good person doesn't have to tell me what a good person they are. A good person's actions, word, behavior and attitude tells that they are "good".

(and you sure didn't have a problem telling all of us about her shortcomings...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">