• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I made a BIG mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MistakeMaker

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I, in good faith, thought I was divorced from my husband. (Texas) I signed the papers in front of the notary and my husband said he was filing the papers with the court. I soon moved to Michigan and gave my estranged husband my address there. I never recieved the divorce papers, but thought nothing of it.

Skip to 3 yrs later. I got married in Michigan. I have found out I was never divorced in Texas. I know this makes me a bigamist. I know I made a huge mistake. I have been told my marriage in Michigan is now void. My husband in Michigan now no longer wants to be married to me (can't say that I blame him).
Question is: I know I have to get a divorce from the man in Texas, but does my husband in Michigan or I have to file for divorce as well?

B

Boxcarbill

MistakeMaker said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I, in good faith, thought I was divorced from my husband. (Texas) I signed the papers in front of the notary and my husband said he was filing the papers with the court. I soon moved to Michigan and gave my estranged husband my address there. I never recieved the divorce papers, but thought nothing of it.

Skip to 3 yrs later. I got married in Michigan. I have found out I was never divorced in Texas. I know this makes me a bigamist. I know I made a huge mistake. I have been told my marriage in Michigan is now void. My husband in Michigan now no longer wants to be married to me (can't say that I blame him).
Question is: I know I have to get a divorce from the man in Texas, but does my husband in Michigan or I have to file for divorce as well?
If anything it would be a suit to declare the marriage void. A divorce is to dissolve a marriage. A prior undissolved marriage makes the subsequent marriage void. You need to talk with a MI family lawyer and find out what is required. Or you could research the law yourself by clicking onto "state resources" located on the gold bar above on this page. Then looking up the family law code or domestic relations code.

M

MistakeMaker

Thank you Boxcarbill

Thank you for your response. I have contacted a family law attorney and made an appointment for a consultation. I am sure he can help me straighten out this mess I have created for myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">